$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few (well, maybe not so few!) rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I am relatively new to this game, and need some rules clarifications that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1) If there is a zed mob with a disease spreader in the Mine when a Mine Explosion goes off, does the disease spreader take a hit? Or does it take no hit because there is a zed mob with him (as is the case during combat, where it can only be damaged if the other Zeds are killed first).

2) Can Captain Piazza use her Overwatch ability to take Refugees with her when she retreats? (given that Refugees usually don't retreat)

3) When you are playing 2 player co-op, and there is a Zed Movement Pressure, you are supposed to move the highest strength mob that can move. What if there is a single Zed unit in front of that mob (so only one of the Zeds can move)? Do we need to look for the highest strength mob that can move with both its Zed units?

4) If Pickles is stealthed in a space with a zed mob, and the zed mob advances (i.e. Pickles fails to distract them with his ability) to another defended space, and fails the attack having to retreat back to the space with Pickles, does Pickles need to roll for Stealth again?

5) When a Zed unit/mob has to "remove 1 Hit" (as in the Fate card "Yeah, they fell for it.. this time", can that Hit flip them back to their strong side?

6) For the "You forgot what?" Fate card, refugees must retreat one space. Does that mean one space towards Town Centre (which makes sense rules wise) or one space away from Town Centre, towards their Village (which makes sense thematically as they'd forget something from the Village).

7) In the "Torrential Downpour" Fate card, it says no further movement is allowed on the Mountain track this turn. Does this also include Zed activations?

8) When Tough/Rugged Hero units take hits outside combat (e.g. from not having supplies during the eat phase), do they roll to avoid the hit?

9) Does the generic Heal action count as an action for the unit being healed? i.e. if Deputy Schmidt is in the hospital on his flipped side (but with no ESG marker) can he use his Initiative to heal himself? (same with the Zen and His Own Agenda abilities for the respective heroes). Similarly, can Sheriff Hunt (if he is in the Town Centre) use his Leadership to heal civilians that are in the hospital?

10) Can the Sheriff's Leadership ability be used on Heroic civilians? (it doesn't specify "regular" civilians, so I presume it can).

Many thanks - I think I got most of the rules down but there is always a few that need some confirmation
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victory Point Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
Hi all

I am relatively new to this game, and need some rules clarifications that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1) If there is a zed mob with a disease spreader in the Mine when a Mine Explosion goes off, does the disease spreader take a hit? Or does it take no hit because there is a zed mob with him (as is the case during combat, where it can only be damaged if the other Zeds are killed first).


The Zeds Mob would still take Hits first before the Disease Spreader does.

nobody82b wrote:
2) Can Captain Piazza use her Overwatch ability to take Refugees with her when she retreats? (given that Refugees usually don't retreat)


Yes she can. :) She could even take Defiant Civs (who lose their Defiant marker) and Villagers (who would get flipped to their Refugees side).

nobody82b wrote:
3) When you are playing 2 player co-op, and there is a Zed Movement Pressure, you are supposed to move the highest strength mob that can move. What if there is a single Zed unit in front of that mob (so only one of the Zeds can move)? Do we need to look for the highest strength mob that can move with both its Zed units?


Quoted from the rulebook:

"Move the Zeds unit or Zeds Mob with the highest Strength one space closer to Town Center. If it cannot move, pick the strongest Zeds unit or Zeds Mob that can move. If this is tied, move the one that is already closest to Town Center. If this is tied, it is your choice which of the tied spaces to activate."

nobody82b wrote:
4) If Pickles is stealthed in a space with a zed mob, and the zed mob advances (i.e. Pickles fails to distract them with his ability) to another defended space, and fails the attack having to retreat back to the space with Pickles, does Pickles need to roll for Stealth again?


Yes. In addition, several Stealth clarifications can be found in the Dossier (page 13).

nobody82b wrote:
5) When a Zed unit/mob has to "remove 1 Hit" (as in the Fate card "Yeah, they fell for it.. this time", can that Hit flip them back to their strong side?


Yes it can! Bwahahah.

nobody82b wrote:
6) For the "You forgot what?" Fate card, refugees must retreat one space. Does that mean one space towards Town Centre (which makes sense rules wise) or one space away from Town Centre, towards their Village (which makes sense thematically as they'd forget something from the Village).


Since that Fate card is considered a "bad" card, technically they would Retreat one space away from Town Center (towards their Village), thus delaying their arrival to Town Center.

nobody82b wrote:
7) In the "Torrential Downpour" Fate card, it says no further movement is allowed on the Mountain track this turn. Does this also include Zed activations?


Correct. :)

nobody82b wrote:
8) When Tough/Rugged Hero units take hits outside combat (e.g. from not having supplies during the eat phase), do they roll to avoid the hit?


Yes.

nobody82b wrote:
9) Does the generic Heal action count as an action for the unit being healed? i.e. if Deputy Schmidt is in the hospital on his flipped side (but with no ESG marker) can he use his Initiative to heal himself? (same with the Zen and His Own Agenda abilities for the respective heroes). Similarly, can Sheriff Hunt (if he is in the Town Centre) use his Leadership to heal civilians that are in the hospital?


Yes! As long as they don't have the EKG marker, then they can perform their abilities on themselves.

We around the office found it funny that Hunt could yell at civs to heal themselves while they're lying there wounded in a hospital bed, frantically bandaging themselves. :p But yes, he can do that too, so long as the Civ units don't have an EKG marker on them.

nobody82b wrote:
10) Can the Sheriff's Leadership ability be used on Heroic civilians? (it doesn't specify "regular" civilians, so I presume it can).


Yes. However, if you're playing a Versus game with Anti-Civilian units in it, he cannot order those guys around.

nobody82b wrote:
Many thanks - I think I got most of the rules down but there is always a few that need some confirmation


Not a problem! Enjoy Zeds hunting! :D

- Noelle
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks Noelle!

I had one more follow-up question.
The Mine Explosion card says "Any units there take 1 hit".

Is that 1 hit total to be distributed across all units (players' choice, with disease spreaders taking hits last as normal)?

I had thought it meant that *each* unit in the mines takes 1 hit. But from your earlier response, I am guessing it is 1 hit total...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I read it "All units there take 1 hit" (units, not unit).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cycyx wrote:
I read it "All units there take 1 hit" (units, not unit).


Then, my original question applies:
If there are 2 Zeds and a disease spreader in the mine, and there is a mine explosion, the 2 zeds will take 1 hit each. If they are still alive, would the disease spreader also take a hit?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
cycyx wrote:
I read it "All units there take 1 hit" (units, not unit).


Then, my original question applies:
If there are 2 Zeds and a disease spreader in the mine, and there is a mine explosion, the 2 zeds will take 1 hit each. If they are still alive, would the disease spreader also take a hit?



I think that the disease-spreaders will only take damage if the blast would kill the other zeds in the mine.
Personally though I would do what the card says (the game is hard enough as it is) and give one damage to all units in the mine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.