Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya guys.
I've been looking at this beauty for a while, and pretty sure Ill get it - Look like a really fun game.
Though I'm wondering.. How much player interaction is there in the game?

Thank you in advance for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two multi-player games and one solo game (all in standard mode), and the interaction has been fairly low. I have not played the "Corporate Era" deck/mode yet.

I'd compare interactions in the standard mode a bit to the player interactions in Agricola if you are familiar with that game?

There's plenty of "whenever X happens, I receive Y from the bank" with the blue cards, and some "remove X pieces from a player of your choice" etc.

Bottom line -- LOVE THIS GAME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
- You are competing for tile spots on the board

- You are competing the limited amount of TR points available for raising oxygen, temperature and placing oceans. As well as planning it so you are able to get the bonuses associated with certain oxygen and temperature levels before you opponent(s)

- You are competing to be the first to grab milestones

- You will be competing to come 1st and 2nd in various (Up to three) awards

- You will play cards, mostly some of the red event cards I think, that can do some minor bad things to your opponent(s).

- You can (I'd recommend it) play with drafting rules to increase strategy and interaction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with the full complement of cards, roughly 10% of them have an attack component which can be used against one of your opponents. Also, competition for board position can be intense, though there is game to game variability.

Awards and Milestones force players to pay attention to what opponents are doing.

Also, if you draft (highly recommended) you add another layer of interactivity.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to all of ya.
I'm a huge fan of Agricola, and think I'll keep my research on the game.. Will probably end up buying it

/hug to all of ya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How damaging are these attacks? Are they like Dominion attacks (annoying, but certainly not punishing) or are they more substantial than that? Also, how important is it to play them if you have them? Using the same example, my wife will sometimes, though not always, play sub-optimally to avoid using a Curse-giving card, but won't worry about an attack that just makes opponents discard a couple cards once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StckFigure wrote:
How damaging are these attacks? Are they like Dominion attacks (annoying, but certainly not punishing) or are they more substantial than that? Also, how important is it to play them if you have them? Using the same example, my wife will sometimes, though not always, play sub-optimally to avoid using a Curse-giving card, but won't worry about an attack that just makes opponents discard a couple cards once.

The attacks are meaningful, but never devastating. Since almost all information is open, it's not terribly difficult to evaluate against whom an attack should be directed. Unless someone is playing poorly, it isn't just a random take that attack.

The worst card I can think of is one which removes six plants from one player. That should work out to a cost to them of one or two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey, there are mainly two kinds of "attacky" cards;
1) Those that remove resources. You don't have to perform this effect in order to play the card. You can choose only to do the other effects. However, all cards are balanced for their effects, so if you do not perform the effect, you are actually paying a little bit more for the effects you do perform.
2) Those that reduce production from other players. These are both more mean than the other ones, and they have to be performed. You may reduce your own production instead, but that's not so fun. This kind of effect is bound by the thematics of the card, which we value more than to make a non-attacky game. The costs are also balanced upon the fact that someone has to have production of the given resource for you to be able to play the card, so making those effects optional would break the balance a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.