$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if you guys had usual uses for Leia's action card - the one that lets you search the mission deck for one of your choice.

Do you find yourself playing it on the first turn to get a good diplomacy mission to get more units?
Do you keep it for a rescue mission/seek yoda, etc?

Something totally different?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the options you mention are good, depending the situation.
Best is to wait until you have a clear view of your options ie dont search for yoda unless you have luke to use it on.
Its situational, but searching for a diplomacy mission early on could help to increase your building rate of units fast
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Using it to promote Luke is an option, but since the mission doesn't go to hand but has Leia immediately assigned, you need to already have Luke and assign him alongside her. Since getting Jedi Luke is already action inefficient as is, this move is probably debatable (But cool. Hey, it's Luke.)

Early Infrastructure push is also decent, also helps get you ahead of the baseline 1 loyalty per turn curve for objective purposes. Too bad Establish Trade Relations is 3 Diplo (probably not worth assigning another leader), so it'd be Support of Moncal. Probably overall best move, I feel.

Holding it for a situational use can also be good, either a Rescue or something Objective related like Incite Rebellion or one of the teleport moves or direct damages. Some of these will require additional Leaders for Logistic or SpecOps, so might be pretty obviously telegraphed though.
If you wait for Luke and he doesn't show up (or shows with his own tutor action card) it's probably too late for infrastructure to matter that much, so this might be your default plan B in that case.

Leias own special mission to rearrange objectives can also be good, probably best done just after you infiltrated your way to Stage 2. This would be turn 3 or thereabouts, so even if you intend this, it still leaves option to abort that for Luke if you draw him).
Possibly best if you intend to dig in and make the base defensible and need to get rid of the Death Star.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
Using it to promote Luke is an option, but since the mission doesn't go to hand but has Leia immediately assigned, you need to already have Luke and assign him alongside her.


It's probably worth noting that you can make the mission go to your hand by assigning just Leia and then not revealing it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Using it to promote Luke is an option, but since the mission doesn't go to hand but has Leia immediately assigned, you need to already have Luke and assign him alongside her.


It's probably worth noting that you can make the mission go to your hand by assigning just Leia and then not revealing it.


Yeah I have thought of this a few times, but never felt like it was really worth spending a leader and not have an action.

Also Leia can help in whatever she the mission, adds a red symbol to protect newly Jedi Luke (I have never actually used the card to grab Yoda even tho I have mentioned it twice now), or add a couple of blue or yellow symbols.

I have used the card to get Obi Wan's rescue card along with a second leader. This also gives an objective, so I like that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Perf wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Using it to promote Luke is an option, but since the mission doesn't go to hand but has Leia immediately assigned, you need to already have Luke and assign him alongside her.


It's probably worth noting that you can make the mission go to your hand by assigning just Leia and then not revealing it.

Good point. For arrangements where she cannot even trigger the mission and needs help, that's not even an action disadvantage, you just need to start the procedure a turn early.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Loyko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
I won the game for Rebels thanks to this card last Saturday.

8-th turn, Rebels VP are at 9.
Death Star is next to my Base ready send a descent or to blow it up and I don't have any fighters left to destroy it (died in previous combat while trying to reach DS).
I have an Objective for destroying 3HP units but can't reach any planets where such ground forces exist.
I'm using Leya card to find Incite Rebellion, make it in a system with Death Star so my enemy doesn't oppose, and kill them all in the first round, winning the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
although killing 3 troops with 3 troops isn't a sure thing, its certainly a good plan.

I also really like the card that spawns 2 triangle units and 1 circle unit in any subjugated system (i wish it was any system)

But Leia will need an additional yellow symbol if i remember correctly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
I always go for the extra diplomacy mission turn one. In a vacuum I think it's probably the most optimal choice. The only reason I wouldn't do this is if I felt I could achieve an objective.

Leaving it until later might be a good idea, but it depends on what happens. I prefer to keep things simple and take the initial boost to loyalty and production.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boxjuggler wrote:
I always go for the extra diplomacy mission turn one. In a vacuum I think it's probably the most optimal choice. The only reason I wouldn't do this is if I felt I could achieve an objective.

Leaving it until later might be a good idea, but it depends on what happens. I prefer to keep things simple and take the initial boost to loyalty and production.


Which one?
the only decent one that Leia can preform by herself is Support of Mon Calamari, which is nice, especially in the once in 20 games in which the empire doesn't have sulacami
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
It should be saved for a truly desperate hour, like Mon Mothma being captured early in the game. Of course if the Empire is able to pull off a Bounty and Lure of the Dark Side the same turn then it's moot.

Early on it's easy enough to get decent capital ship production through Utupau (this needs a name like a chess opener).

A good late-game move could be to pull up Base Defenses if there's nowhere to move and you need to brace for a big fight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
It should be saved for a truly desperate hour, like Mon Mothma being captured early in the game. Of course if the Empire is able to pull off a Bounty and Lure of the Dark Side the same turn then it's moot.

Early on it's easy enough to get decent capital ship production through Utupau (this needs a name like a chess opener).

A good late-game move could be to pull up Base Defenses if there's nowhere to move and you need to brace for a big fight.


If you're letting Mon Mothma get captured early game then you're making mistakes as the rebels. You should be building alliances every turn with MM more or less. And try to go for systems that aren't adjacent to imperial fleets.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
boxjuggler wrote:
I always go for the extra diplomacy mission turn one. In a vacuum I think it's probably the most optimal choice. The only reason I wouldn't do this is if I felt I could achieve an objective.

Leaving it until later might be a good idea, but it depends on what happens. I prefer to keep things simple and take the initial boost to loyalty and production.


Which one?
the only decent one that Leia can preform by herself is Support of Mon Calamari, which is nice, especially in the once in 20 games in which the empire doesn't have sulacami


The designers actually said that you're able to assign a second leader to the mission pulled with MDH just like any other mission.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
David Umstattd wrote:
Darth Coupon wrote:
It should be saved for a truly desperate hour, like Mon Mothma being captured early in the game. Of course if the Empire is able to pull off a Bounty and Lure of the Dark Side the same turn then it's moot.

Early on it's easy enough to get decent capital ship production through Utupau (this needs a name like a chess opener).

A good late-game move could be to pull up Base Defenses if there's nowhere to move and you need to brace for a big fight.


If you're letting Mon Mothma get captured early game then you're making mistakes as the rebels. You should be building alliances every turn with MM more or less. And try to go for systems that aren't adjacent to imperial fleets.


What can I say, I'm scarred by a turn two Collect Bounty with Fett. It was a perfect storm but that early on Vader can easily get the job done if the Empire draws that mission. AS you said normally Mon Mothma should be chugging along Building Alliances so I don't think an extra diplomacy mission early on is vital.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Darth Coupon wrote:
It should be saved for a truly desperate hour, like Mon Mothma being captured early in the game. Of course if the Empire is able to pull off a Bounty and Lure of the Dark Side the same turn then it's moot.

Early on it's easy enough to get decent capital ship production through Utupau (this needs a name like a chess opener).

A good late-game move could be to pull up Base Defenses if there's nowhere to move and you need to brace for a big fight.


If you're letting Mon Mothma get captured early game then you're making mistakes as the rebels. You should be building alliances every turn with MM more or less. And try to go for systems that aren't adjacent to imperial fleets.


What can I say, I'm scarred by a turn two Collect Bounty with Fett. It was a perfect storm but that early on Vader can easily get the job done if the Empire draws that mission. AS you said normally Mon Mothma should be chugging along Building Alliances so I don't think an extra diplomacy mission early on is vital.


Fair enough. That is a wicked combo. Not sure what you mean by "an extra diplomacy mission early on is vital"

Getting Trade Negotiations early on can change the entire course of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
It's a matter of playing style at this point, as aggressive as the Rebels should be I play conservatively with that card for a situational mission (rescue or uprising). Having a Daring Rescue in hand to start the game is a nice cushion for the Rebels to have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of resign myself to the fact the empire is going to capture one of my leaders and just plan around it. Forces are more important than leaders I think. Though I'll certainly try to rescue if I get a good opportunity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.