Subject: Case One question *spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitri Dolgov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Started playing this with my daughter. We got stuck after about 15 leads and went for the solution. We did not get the culprit correctly (we did not figure out the Deverell street/factory combo and missed on the round cigarette holder), but got most of Part Two answers correctly.

My question is regarding the note signed A.M.: if Allen passed the note to Ragland (via Walter Kehoe in 12SE) to set up The Pounce (and Ragland probably got it), how did the note eventually end up in Allen's briefcase?

Also, were there any hints/clues that the missing SP10 folder did not contain useful technical information on the project (after all, it was made for Admiralty and could contain basic schematics, like in a presentation and such)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Toy IKA
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeLorean88 wrote:
Started playing this with my daughter. We got stuck after about 15 leads and went for the solution. We did not get the culprit correctly (we did not figure out the Deverell street/factory combo and missed on the round cigarette holder), but got most of Part Two answers correctly.

My question is regarding the note signed A.M.: if Allen passed the note to Ragland (via Walter Kehoe in 12SE) to set up The Pounce (and Ragland probably got it), how did the note eventually end up in Allen's briefcase?

Also, were there any hints/clues that the missing SP10 folder did not contain useful technical information on the project (after all, it was made for Admiralty and could contain basic schematics, like in a presentation and such)?

You sir are my brother soul :-)) we just finished the same case and did pretty well without of course managing to find deverell plant. It all makes sense apart from the part that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the note ends up in Allen's briefcase.

Am so looking forward to an answer on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
mbmbmbmbmb

You should read more closely the fragment about the location you missed.

According to Sherlock Holmes in the beginning of the case, the note in Mr Allen's case is in his own writing.

According to Mr Kehoe in Deverell Street, Allen somehow gets hold of Meshkoff's note and asks him to pass it on to Lord Ragland without telling him Mr. Allen had found out about its content.

In his Solution, Holmes presumes that nevertheless, Lord Ragland did find out Mr Allen had found out he was the spy and decided to kill him.

What all this means is that the slip of paper in Mr Allen's briefcase was a copy he had made for his own and possibly Cpt. Egan's benefit.

The reason SP#10 was not about the technical details of the project is that, according to both Mr Kehoe and Mr Linhart (Mr Allen's secretary) all the plans ("all the technical data, blueprints, formulas and that type of thing") were housed in Deverell Street in Lord Ragland's safe.

So, as Sherlock Homes explains in his Solution, Lord Ragland did not have to steal any engineering documentation (he already had full access to all of it), instead he had all the reasons to steal and then hide or destroy administrative documents which could have been damaging for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Dolgov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
gmilitaru wrote:

You should read more closely the fragment about the location you missed.

According to Sherlock Holmes in the beginning of the case, the note in Mr Allen's case is in his own writing.

According to Mr Kehoe in Deverell Street, Allen somehow gets hold of Meshkoff's note and asks him to pass it on to Lord Ragland without telling him Mr. Allen had found out about its content.

In his Solution, Holmes presumes that nevertheless, Lord Ragland did find out Mr Allen had found out he was the spy and decided to kill him.

What all this means is that the slip of paper in Mr Allen's briefcase was a copy he had made for his own and possibly Cpt. Egan's benefit.

I did not miss that location. However, you should check Spaniard's Inn location, where it is clearly stated that limping A.M. did meet with Ragland at 8:30 on that day to exchange briefcases. At the plant, Allen was trying to make Ragland to show up at 10:00 instead, when he and Egan could "pounce" on him and catch him in the act (10SW).

Besides, if Ragland kills Allen and steels a folder from his briefcase, why won't he take the incriminating note (includes Spaniard's Inn, project name and initials of his client).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, actually, no. The text is:

Alexander Mishkin... walked with a slight limp and spoke with an accent. He arrived at 8:30 and ordered supper. An English gentleman, about 30, I would say joined him later.

So, it is "Mishkin" who arrives at 8:30. The actual meeting is "later".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Dolgov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Any other theories or ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.