Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Welford
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some ideas for a what I think is a less random scoring system both are similar and reward players for collecting more fish.

The total scoring method

Set up:

Separate the scoring cards into three piles based on their values. So a pile of 1 cards, a pile of 2 cards, and a pile of 3 cards. Place these within reach of the board

Method.

The hall monitor/chaser plays the same. Trying to tag everyone before they score to much.

When a runner goes through a scoring door they take a fish and place it on a pile. The first time on the 1 pile, second on the two etc... At the end of the round the player takes the highest number card they have a fish on only. The maximum score is therefore the amount of players X 3.

Accumulative scoring.

Set up is the same and this time as well as placing a fish on the relevant card you also take a card of that number. The max score is therefore player count X 6.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the accumulative scoring variant I'd suggest that fishes are placed on cards in the order of 3->2->1. That would make scoring tighter. If they are placed 1->2->3 then the player who finishes the round will, at worst, get twice as much points as the runner up. That's a really huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Welford
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! Still rewards skill. But is catchable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in a more controllable scoring also.

How will the cumulative scoring work for the end of the round? The catcher gets cards for IDs caught and the runners get a card if they weren't.

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this scoring variant, with Patrik's suggested amendment, plus some suggestions of my own.

So basically like this:

- Have cards in piles of 1/2/3.
- The first fish a player catches is worth 3, the second is 2, the third is 1.
- Not being caught by the catcher is worth 1.
- The catcher scores 3 for the first player they catch, then 2, then 1. They start that round with a 1 card. Therefore each player can score up to 7 points in a round.
- The tie-breaker would be whoever has the most "1" cards, then the most "2" cards. Because you get the "1" cards for your 3rd catch or fish, it encourages going for that 3rd catch and to reward the player who triggers the end of each round.
- Maybe also hang onto a token per player, that they can use once per game for an immediate second turn.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Welford
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to try that. We usually do the non accumulative method which seems to work out fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've resorted to basically keeping score with the cards as if they were money. You are rewarded 3 if you're first, 2 if second, 1 if third. We do not use the "1 catch up" rule at all. We skip this rule because if we run out of "3" cards, we need to pick up a 2 and a 1 so you don't know if that was legitimately a 1 card.

We talked about just writing down the scores instead of using the cards but it's not like we take it too seriously.

It just makes sense to reward the person with the greatest skill. The score should reflect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.