Subject: Netrunner the Board Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I'm getting a really strong netrunner feel from the game. Does anyone else feel the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Is it because of the hidden information? I honestly get way more of an imperial assault feel myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
So far I'm getting a really strong netrunner feel from the game. Does anyone else feel the same?

Can you explain more on why you feel this way? I'm curious and haven't felt that way myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How? I can't imagine what you mean and I play a ton of netrunner. Explain please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got a very strong cyberpunk, shadowrun theme going for it. I totally describe this as Apocalyptic Cyberpunk to folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erm... if you feel so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what you mean, I think. The Sin plays a lot like a Corp, lots of placing traps and obstacles for the other player, and attacks that are largely reactions taken on your opponent's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what Paul Newsham has posted. The Faith player/players generally need to build up early in the game by getting equipment cards(icebreakers, programs, hardware, and resources) to stand a fighting chance against the sin player early and late game. Meaning late game if the Faith team has enough upgrades they can turtle the rest of the game. The Sins player is putting up barriers (ice walls) to objectives (fire, corruption, and monster)manipulating the board state which can be trigged by cards in your hand (secret aspect of ice walls). Seems more like a mid game win before the faith players are fully set up. Originally I thought this was going to be more like sentinels of the multiverse with someone playing villain or pandemic with human AI. However it feels like netrunner with dice.

Imperial Assault is only similar in that you use dice to get rid of monsters but other than that I don't feel that they are similar in too many other aspects (objective set up and what not). Imperial Assault really doesn't feel like anything is happening until late campaign. Its a bit too slow for me. I still buy into despite that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
Pretty much what Paul Newsham has posted. The Faith player/players generally need to build up early in the game by getting equipment cards(icebreakers, programs, hardware, and resources) to stand a fighting chance against the sin player early and late game. Meaning late game if the Faith team has enough upgrades they can turtle the rest of the game. The Sins player is putting up barriers (ice walls) to objectives (fire, corruption, and monster)manipulating the board state which can be trigged by cards in your hand (secret aspect of ice walls). Seems more like a mid game win before the faith players are fully set up. Originally I thought this was going to be more like sentinels of the multiverse with someone playing villain or pandemic with human AI. However it feels like netrunner with dice.

Imperial Assault is only similar in that you use dice to get rid of monsters but other than that I don't feel that they are similar in too many other aspects (objective set up and what not). Imperial Assault really doesn't feel like anything is happening until late campaign. Its a bit too slow for me. I still buy into despite that.

I can see where you are coming from, but for me, it is a totally different feel. I get a strong castle defense feel from Netrunner. To me, The Others is more of a race to complete objectives before the Sins player piles on too much damage and corruption. That is where I get the Imperial Assault feel; in that game, the heroes are also racing to complete objectives before the Imperial player can build up too much threat/figures on the board/damage on the heroes/etc. And the theme is much more Shadowrun/fantasy cyberpunk than Netrunner's near future cyberpunk.

But, all that said, to each their own. If you get a Netrunner feel from it, cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seejay wrote:
It's got a very strong cyberpunk, shadowrun theme going for it. I totally describe this as Apocalyptic Cyberpunk to folks.

I've been going with Horror Shadowrun....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to do with theme for me. Theme is modern cthulu in essence another over saturated theme. Netrunner has no theme in my oppinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
Nothing to do with theme for me. Theme is modern cthulu in essence another over saturated theme. Netrunner has no theme in my oppinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get how people are able to describe a theme only by referencing to something very popular.

The Others is neither cyberpunk, neither Cthulhu. Near future biblical horror/fantasy is what it is. Guns and technology don't make it cyberpunk. Tentacles don't make it Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:

Someon hasn't read any William Gibson apparently. Netrunner is cyberpunk through and through. No opinion necessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Lovecraftian not cthulu whatever floats your boat. It's not an original theme read Lovecraft and you will understand. If The Others was new and innovative as a theme I would agree with you. However this is not the case. Portals, future tech in modern times(relative), corruption, and horror. It's Lovecraft too the bone.

I have read Neuromancer. Nothing in netrunner feels like neuromancer. Why do you have to set up? A program can come before a console? Why is a pack dedicated to a college theme? The event completely derail the theme from the mechanics. I could go on forever but then I would be attacking every nuance in the cards (which is a lot). To me it's just an abstract game. If you try and make sense of the theme you might as well theme it as castle conquest.Edit And why does the runner need money to run their own software? The money system is ridiculously themeless on the runners side excluding event and resource cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackers jacked into cyberspace, warring megacorporations beyond reach of the law, cybernetically enhanced agents, AIs, etc.? Yeah, Nethacker sounds a lot like Neuromancer to me.

Others doesn't feel Lovecraftian at all. Interdimensional monsters based on the seven deadly sins boiling into the streets of Future City to face annihilation at the hands of heavily armed weirdos is, uh, not a Lovecraft thing once you get beyond the words "interdimensional monsters."

Others doesn't seem very Gibsonian to me either, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not questioning that Android isn't Neuromancer bleeding with blade runner. I'm just saying netrunner isnt. Its the mechanics and theme that don't match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.