10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fire Damage and Action Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Macal
msg tools
Quick questions for yall!

1. When fire spawns in a space that your character is standing in during the mythos phase do you take a point of damage at the start of the investigator phase or at the end if you are in still in a space with fire at the end of your turn?

2. When performing actions can you perform the same action twice if you wanted too? i.e attacking a monster twice, trying two attempts at a puzzle or skill test? If you do, do you get the same amount of attempts to guess the puzzle? Example: Rita attempts a puzzle that requires observation (her's is 3 I think) and unsuccessfully attempts for one action. Can she use her other action to get 3 more guess at the puzzle?

Thank you for the help! This game is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You take one point of damage only on your turn if you do any other action than a "move" action or a "extinguish fire" action (making an agility test to know how many fires you can extinguish - if your number of sucesses is 0, you suffer a damage).

2. Yes, you can do the same actions twice on your turn.

Hope this helps.
Indeed, great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Macal
msg tools
Thank you for the quick response and clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Here are the references to your questions (from the Rules Reference).

blacklikevader wrote:
1. When fire spawns in a space that your character is standing in during the mythos phase do you take a point of damage at the start of the investigator phase or at the end if you are in still in a space with fire at the end of your turn?

Neither actually. You take possible Fire damage after each action.

Page 9, Fire.
"After an investigator in a space containing Fire performs an action
other than the move action, if there is Fire in his space, he suffers
one facedown Damage."

Note that it's different for monsters.
"Whenever a monster starts its activation in a space containing
Fire or moves into a space containing Fire, it suffers one damage."
blacklikevader wrote:
2. When performing actions can you perform the same action twice if you wanted too? i.e attacking a monster twice, trying two attempts at a puzzle or skill test? If you do, do you get the same amount of attempts to guess the puzzle? Example: Rita attempts a puzzle that requires observation (her's is 3 I think) and unsuccessfully attempts for one action. Can she use her other action to get 3 more guess at the puzzle?

Page 4, Action.
"An investigator can perform the same action more than once
per round."

Don't forget you can use Clues for additional steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Macal
msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woah woah woah woah. I completely missed this in the rules!

So, an investigator can move 100% freely through fire spaces without taking any damage, so long as he doesn't stop to do something else? (search, interact, etc.)

Amazing!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderSlug wrote:
So, an investigator can move 100% freely through fire spaces without taking any damage, so long as he doesn't stop to do something else? (search, interact, etc.)

No, he can't. He can freely move out of fire spaces, but there is another rule:

RRG - Fire wrote:
Whenever an investigator moves into a space containing Fire,
he suffers one facedown Damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

I played it right then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Nettelnstrot
Germany
flag msg tools
Had a situation, where an investigator had to move further away from something, 3 spaces in this case. This took me deeper into the fire, making me run through 3 of them. This gave me 3 damage, if I played it correct, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go1jo wrote:
Had a situation, where an investigator had to move further away from something, 3 spaces in this case. This took me deeper into the fire, making me run through 3 of them. This gave me 3 damage, if I played it correct, right?

Yes, and that damage is all facedown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.