Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure it is much more glorious to tell of our victories, but this is a story of how I failed, yet in the process I learned some valuable lessons in planning ahead and not taking anything for granted.

Initial Missions
Lunar Survey - 4pt
Venus Lander - 11pt
Man on the Moon - 12pt
Phobos Sample - 12pt
Mercury Lander - 13pt
Mars Station - 20pt
Man on Mars - 24pt
Venus Station - 27pt
Man on Venus - 32pt

Talk about going boldly, it seems I was definitely sending a man to a another world. I think I started of with the right idea, but I guess starting a game at 10pm made it hard on the later calculation. Fatigue definitely played a part in my later calculation errors.

Early game
I decided that I needed to start testing landing and reentry tech early on as well as get some info on the Moon and Venus. I started research and testing on Saturn rockets and Ion thrusters.

I launched some components into space and tried to rendezvous but had some failures. I ended up sending up a mechanic with supplies to fix them. Unfortunately Suborbital flight was extremely hazardous (1-3 incapacitates) but luckily my first guy passed. I also found out that Solar Radiation was slightly hazardous.

I sent some probes out to IPT and the moon via Ion rockets, meanwhile I kept launching and dropping vostoks from space to test re-entry and landing, we lost a couple of capsules, but no deaths.

Mid game
Surveyed the moon to find out there were valuable samples
Surveyed Venus to discover It couldn't be landed upon. It cut down my missions, but I still needed a man on mars and the moon. Turned my probe around an headed it towards Mercury.
Started researching and testing Atlas rockets.

Late game
This is where it all fell apart. Was probably around midnight as I tried to finish out this leg, and this is where all the culmination of the previous years were bearing results. If only I have made better calculations this might have turned out better, as it was though here is how it played out.

My probe got to mercury, but I forgot to allow for it needing thrust to land, I forgot the Ions would be of no use in that situation.

I got a man to the moon, but didn't have the thrust to bring him back alive. I took 2 supplies with me (due to ion thrusters) if I had of taken 3 supplies I would have made it back. As it was I had to leave him there to die but I did get the sample back. Good cash boost, but no points.

I was running out of time, and I realized that although I could get a man on Mars, I didn't have enough time before the end of the game to get him back.

End result
Lunar survey - 4pt - achieved 1967
Astronaut died on Moon (-2pt) - 1973
Mars Station - 20pt - Achieved 1976
Astronaut waiting rescue on Mars - 1976

Points left on the table 61pt

Conclusion
Don't forget Ion thrusters cannot land and are probably not very useful when sending man to the moon and back.

This game was a blast, but like real life mission planning, I should have used more coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.

Not so great you killed an Astronaut! (Who was it, by the way?)

Also - impeccable choice for your avatar.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Good mix on brevity and detail. I've definitely been there! I'm going to try using the mission planner pads, but it almost feels like cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.