Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
First, thank you to everyone in this community - it's a very supportive place. I've really only been seriously into board game for about 5 years, but have been overwhelmed by how welcoming people are at BGG and in the board game world generally.

I work at a High School in Newark and am starting a Board Game Design project. This is not your typical club - students will be learning about designers, themes, and mechanics in order to design, produce, and play test their own games in preparation for our project fair at the end of the semester. There, they will present their game and have other students, teachers, and professionals play it.

This is also not your typical school. Despite tremendous poverty and long odds, our students achieve incredible things. 100% of our graduating seniors have been accepted into 4-year colleges like Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Middleburg, Brown, Wellesley, and many more.

As you can guess with results like that, academics are the main focus. This year we have the opportunity to connect with students in non-academic ways for 4 hours every week.

So, here's what I've done so far to get it off the ground:
- Emailed every designer, publisher and distributor I could think of asking for donations. Despite being in an industry that isn't exactly flush with cash, many have supported us. It's been fantastic, but not enough.
- Started a donors choose page to raise enough money to have about 60 more games sent directly to the school. It can be found here:
https://www.donorschoose.org/project/board-games-for-future-...
- Created a 12-week syllabus with each week focusing on a specific mechanic or theme. Created 'review' sheets which will focus students on particular aspects of a game that they deem successful or not (like % of time playing, luck/skill balance, difficulty, etc.) which they will complete as they play.

Has anyone else done something like this? What have I not done yet that might be helpful? Is there any person or company that you recommend I try to connect with? Any other angle I'm not taking?

If you can donate that's cool, if you can give advice that would be really helpful too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend contacting the U.S. Navy and Army, as they have significant wargaming programs including game development. It is very likely they have curric materials that can be valuable as well as physical components or actual unpublished games. They may also present career opportunities, both in and out of uniform to your students.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great Scott!

Pleased to see Hanabi made the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This 'chap' has plenty upon his 'site' FREED, especially in your circumstances! Lou Coatney and tell him GROGnads "sent you!" cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.