Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Getting started, help? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi,

i have been interested in myth for a really long time, but i finally have the chance($) to buy it, but i see so much stuff that i don't know what to buy or what SHOULD i buy.

there is myth 1.0 and 2.0? how do i know which i'm buying?

is any standalone expansion that i COULD consider instead of the core box?
or any bigbox expansion that seens to be a must?

i see a bunch of talk about modules and stuff, is there any place where everything gets explained? ever since these modules came out, every time i try to understand then it gets waaay over my head and i end up not understanding anything.

any help will be welcome!

oh, one more thing, is this game worth playing with 1 or 2?
is there a good progressive system in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
Hi,

i have been interested in myth for a really long time, but i finally have the chance($) to buy it, but i see so much stuff that i don't know what to buy or what SHOULD i buy.

i see a bunch of talk about modules and stuff, is there any place where everything gets explained? ever since these modules came out, every time i try to understand then it gets waaay over my head and i end up not understanding anything.

I haven't seen Myth 2.0 in the stores but I think they're selling it on their site. It has a giant 2.0 graphic on it. Also you can buy the 2.0 upgrade pack separately.

There are no big box expansions really, though you can buy things like monster packs to give yourself more different kinds of monsters -- shamblers (skeletons), Elementals (little guys with cyberpunk type spinning saws and flamethrower a), tailless (rat men), and so on.

Learning Myth is something I'm still doing. The instruction manual isn't really the best way to learn to play the game -- at least not by itself. Watching YouTube videos is very helpful, especially the Keith Lowe channel (one of the developers). Plan on a lot of study and some time looking down in a confused fashion at the board wondering what you're supposed to do. There are two "modules" available on their site to download (the new adventure/story quest formats) each of which would probably take you a few sessions to complete but they might need some upgrades for the characters. But it's not clear what you are supposed to play "first" to learn the game.

I recommend just using "adventure mode" (which is the new term for freeform questing) and involves putting down tiles and populating it according to the legend (sparingly at first) and getting a feel for the mechanics of the game. At first it won't be clear how you need to populate them because it requires you make choices that you won't have the knowledge for yet, but stick with it and you will get the idea.

The game is really unique and innovative. I think personally it's best to treat it as a wargame at first rather than as a progression based "RPG in a box" type game. Just try to learn the mechanics first. It really is a great game and a lot of fun, but the learning curve is steep.

There are progression mechanics in the game, but they don't (in my opinion) amount to an integrated system yet. The types of progression include:

1) modifying the treasure bag (which you draw tokens from and use the colors drawn to decide which treasure deck to pull a card from) such that better colors are in the bag.
2) gaining titles (which provide a nice ability and permit you to keep 1 piece of gear from game to game --normally you start from scratch with starting gear each time)
3) gaining card swaps where you can substitute advanced hero cards for the regular ones you start with
4) gaining agent cards that you can add into your hero decks (without needing to swap them for an old card).

The sum total of the above, gained through such events as defeating an agent (powerful NPC similar to a weaker boss), defeating a boss, completing a story quest or module, etc., can make a team much better at holding their own against bigger opposition but almost more important is training the players to play the game well. But all those progressions are really not sufficient to make it a progression game (not a legacy game in modern parlance) -- at least not yet. For now it's mostly an amazingly fun tactical wargame.

Good luck and persevere. It's a great game, but not an easy one to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:

Any core boxes with the 2.0 content will say so with a big sticker on it. (2.0 stuff is only found in the core box.)

Quote:

No. There are no expansions yet.

Quote:

No. There are monster sets available, but those just give you more miniatures.

Quote:
i see a bunch of talk about modules and stuff, is there any place where everything gets explained?

Not that doesn't require you to wade through all of the 2nd KickStarter updates.

Quote:
ever since these modules came out,

Modules aren't out yet. They are coming with the Journeyman KickStarter which is yet to be delivered. "Module" is just a name for a series of scenarios tied together with some fluff and a plot.

There *is* one free module available on the Myth website. Go download it and you'll easily understand what they're about.

Quote:

2 = Yes. 1 = depends on how much you like soloing games. Since the mobs are always run by the AI the only difference between solo and 2-5 players is that you definitely need 2+ Heroes, so in solo mode you'd have to manage 2 or more decks of cards. (Each hero has their own deck.)

Quote:

Progression is slow. You improve your gear (weapons, armor, items) during game play by picking up loot dropped by the monsters. That's one of the core mechanics of the game. So since it is core, that means that pretty much every time you start a new module, you'll start over with your basic gear again - otherwise picking up dropped loot becomes a very boring activity.

There are a few long-term ways to improve you character though. The first involves tweaking your deck to allow you to replace a few starting cards with more powerful cards. The other allows you to carry items you find in one module over to another. So you can start with a really good weapon, but the rest of your gear is the newbie stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
Quote:

Progression is slow. You improve your gear (weapons, armor, items) during game play by picking up loot dropped by the monsters. That's one of the core mechanics of the game. So since it is core, that means that pretty much every time you start a new module, you'll start over with your basic gear again - otherwise picking up dropped loot becomes a very boring activity.

There are a few long-term ways to improve you character though. The first involves tweaking your deck to allow you to replace a few starting cards with more powerful cards. The other allows you to carry items you find in one module over to another. So you can start with a really good weapon, but the rest of your gear is the newbie stuff.

In roleplaying games, where giving the players too much gear is an old and common problem, the usual fix is to give the players less but let them keep what they have. When you have to take stuff away from them, it tends to be problematic. In Myth, the start over thing is annoying if you just spent a whole session finding really neat loot. On the other hand it's all a matter of how you see the game. After all, most board games start over every time you play, right?

As Myth changes to institutionalize progression (titles, deck manipulations, and so on), it starts to look more like a role playing game, and as it does the gear thing could be more of a problem if people's expectation of the game follow from their RPG experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
Hi,

AFAIK:

There's just one base game setup, "2.0" is mostly new rules and new cards which is supposed to help deal with getting the game to work for people and it's most likely something you definitely want if you're going into Myth. There may be a new reprint "2.0" too I may have seen that too and I think it had glossy cardboard bits instead of matte ones which wore down easier - supposedly.

The closest you get to "must", big box or stand-alone expansion would be the captain pledge of the original Myth Kickstarter which had a bunch of additional content which is more expensive to get separately than what it was on KS (of course), the latest Journeyman Kickstarter also had an option to get a bunch of the old stuff for a better price than separately but not as good as the original Kickstarter.

Journeyman adds "leveled up" heroes taking different directions, I assume each box have it's own "module" though I'm not sure about that with different units and the Kickstarter came with a bunch of stretch-goals.

The modules could all be added onto a Journeyman pledge (or possibly be bought separately too?) and will be likely be sold later too but the previous mentioned stretch goals added content to them I think? Anyway a module is like a scenario set against a specific faction and I assume that later you can use that faction in any of your more "free-form" / sand box" Myth games too as you want but in the modules it's a pre-made story and setup for you to follow and play through.

To get a taste I guess a Myth retail box would do. Best starting point would likely had been a Myth KS-version with stretch-goals, the most cost efficient / "smartest" way to buy it if you wanted it all so far would likely had been to back the original Myth and then Journeyman with both sets + the modules package + the additional traps(spawns?) add-on (another set of all the traps in plastic.) Beyond that you're free to argue that also having bought additional add-ons on the Kickstarters too was a good idea because they likely is even more expensive outside of the Kickstarters and so on both these three things Myth on KS, JM on KS, the module set and the traps pieces are the stuff which got more and more content added to them as the KS progressed, the rest is loose stuff you can add if you want to but you get less for your dollars there so to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
... the most cost efficient / "smartest" way to buy it if you wanted it all so far would likely had been to back the original Myth and then Journeyman with both sets + the modules package + the additional traps(spawns?) add-on (another set of all the traps in plastic.) Beyond that you're free to argue that also having bought additional add-ons on the Kickstarters too was a good idea because they likely is even more expensive outside of the Kickstarters and so on both these three things Myth on KS, JM on KS, the module set and the traps pieces are the stuff which got more and more content added to them as the KS progressed, the rest is loose stuff you can add if you want to but you get less for your dollars there so to say.

That's what I did. It's disturbing easy to find KS lots on sale on eBay. They're not cheap but they are pretty available. Mine came assembled but not painted (I think that's the way it ships). It didn't look as if it had had much play. The 2.0 rules were included but not shuffled into the game.

There is a disturbing pattern to this game of people playing it, having a hard time, and ending up getting rid of it. I don't think it is a fault of the game, it really is a great, innovative, fun game. But it's a game that wants a teacher and whose instruction manual doesn't get you up to speed.

I'm not saying it takes any more work than say Star Trek Attack Wing to learn, I spent a year and a half learning that game, but when I started, my first game didn't feel too crushingly hard, and it was fun. There was a good ramp upward. I could play each game and have fun and feel like I had a reasonably handle on the rules, if not a lot of skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got a Captain Pledge from the original campaign recently. On their website, I downloaded the 2.0 rulebook. Does it make sense if I read the 2.0 rulebook and play with 1.0 components? Unfortunately, having the 2.0 upgrade pack being sent to Belgium is $47 at the moment.

Is there someone maybe ready to grab a 2.0 upgrade pack in the US and bring it to me in Essen? I would reward such a niceness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
I also got a Captain Pledge from the original campaign recently. On their website, I downloaded the 2.0 rulebook. Does it make sense if I read the 2.0 rulebook and play with 1.0 components? Unfortunately, having the 2.0 upgrade pack being sent to Belgium is $47 at the moment.

Is there someone maybe ready to grab a 2.0 upgrade pack in the US and bring it to me in Essen? I would reward such a niceness.

You can also download the 2.0 cards and print them on cardstock (and then sleeve them with opaque-backed sleeves. They work fine. I used them when the PDF was released over a year ago until I got my 2.0 update kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am convinced that the best way to learn this game is to have someone teach it to you in person. Barring that, my personal opinion is that it's fine to start with the 2.0 manual, but I also read the 1.0 manual (there's not THAT much difference but the 1.0 manual had a MUCH better tutorial on playing the original characters ... not enough, but better).

You can certainly play with 1.0 components, as I said there is hardly any difference. Just a few card differences and some different formatting (and a new set of quests).

But anyway, once you read the manual, don't try to play right away. Go watch all the videos from Keith Lowe on YouTube (or their website) -- there aren't that many. You get two things from the videos -- 1. a sense for how beautiful the game is, and 2. A sense for how it plays and the tactics for each character. Those guys KNOW this game.

THEN go play the game. Be prepared for some staring at the board wondering what to do. Don't let it throw you. Keep at it. It takes a little time for your brain to adapt and for it to start clicking into place. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rulebook, then playing a practice game or two using Slaughterfield mode (on page 30 of the 2.0 rulebook) will let you get used to the Hero decks and the monster movement/priorities/attacks/abilities and the basic gameplay.

Then you should reread the rulebook, set up one of the simpler quests on a tile (I suggest Stolen Treasure, or I like my Odds) and learn to use lairs, the Darkness deck, Threat Range, etc.

I strongly recommend downloading and printing out the handy Flow Chart from the BGG files, as well as a set of movement trackers.

Myth isn't really that complicated, it's just that it plays differently than what most people are used to. It's basically just a card-driven, tactical battle game set with Fantasy-based characters and enemies, that can be played co-op or solo (with 2 or more Heroes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Well, I am convinced that the best way to learn this game is to have someone teach it to you in person. Barring that, my personal opinion is that it's fine to start with the 2.0 manual, but I also read the 1.0 manual (there's not THAT much difference but the 1.0 manual had a MUCH better tutorial on playing the original characters ... not enough, but better).

You can certainly play with 1.0 components, as I said there is hardly any difference. Just a few card differences and some different formatting (and a new set of quests).

But anyway, once you read the manual, don't try to play right away. Go watch all the videos from Keith Lowe on YouTube (or their website) -- there aren't that many. You get two things from the videos -- 1. a sense for how beautiful the game is, and 2. A sense for how it plays and the tactics for each character. Those guys KNOW this game.

THEN go play the game. Be prepared for some staring at the board wondering what to do. Don't let it throw you. Keep at it. It takes a little time for your brain to adapt and for it to start clicking into place. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.

Great advices. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.