John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Extra Legs Mutation reads:

Each time you spend an action for basic movement, move two locations instead of one.

1) Is this mandatory? Or should it instead read "Each time you spend an action for basic movement, you may move two locations instead of one."

2) What is "basic movement"? Does that mean you cannot stack Defender cards allowing additional movement with this Mutation ability? (If so, then that makes the answer to #1 above even more important.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
The Extra Legs Mutation reads:

Each time you spend an action for basic movement, move two locations instead of one.

1) Is this mandatory? Or should it instead read "Each time you spend an action for basic movement, you may move two locations instead of one."

2) What is "basic movement"? Does that mean you cannot stack Defender cards allowing additional movement with this Mutation ability? (If so, then that makes the answer to #1 above even more important.)

Thanks!

The way I interpret it, extra legs give you move movement, so regarding (1) I would interpret it as giving you 1-2 locations per action.

In essence, it seems there are three modes of transportation; foot, land vehicle, and air vehicle which provide 1, 2, and 4 locations respectively.

For (2), I interpret basic movement to be normal, on foot movement between locations. So, extra legs don't help when you're moving by vehicle or glider.

That seems to fit the character "Mad" Max Rockatansky Jake's ability to move up to 2 spaces all the time with his Pursuit Special motorcycle.

You could almost make the argument that having an extra pair of legs might make riding a motorcycle or driving a car a bit more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting myself in the designer's head (oh, it's scary in here! laugh), I suspect the intent of the card is to require you to always move exactly 2 spaces when moving on foot. Think of it this way: you've been mutated. You're not used to having extra legs. As such, you always go farther than intended.

From a game play perspective, there is usually a way to get to an adjacent space by moving 2 spaces. So you'll rarely be hindered by having to move 2 spaces instead of 1. And often you want to move farther, so having the ability to move 2 spaces without spending a motorcycle card is an awesome benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Putting myself in the designer's head (oh, it's scary in here! laugh), I suspect the intent of the card is to require you to always move exactly 2 spaces when moving on foot.

That's interesting -- I really wouldn't have interpreted it that way on my own... Too bad they didn't add "you may" or "you must" to the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.