Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I move through two planetary shields at once to move directly from one planet to an adjacent planet, and if so, how does it work? Do you treat it as one shield, or roll twice before determining if you can move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You roll for each shield. If either roll fails, your ship does not move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You roll to pass each shield. If you pass the first shield, but fail on the second, you can continue to make attempts on the second shield until you are destroyed or choose to stop. If you are unsuccessful in passing both shields, then you remain in the hex you started from.

It is not all or nothing, so if you fail on the second shield, you do not have to restart and pass both shields again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
You roll to pass each shield. If you pass the first shield, but fail on the second, you can continue to make attempts on the second shield until you are destroyed or choose to stop. If you are unsuccessful in passing both shields, then you remain in the hex you started from.

It is not all or nothing, so if you fail on the second shield, you do not have to restart and pass both shields again.

Do you have a reference on that? I'm not sure I agree, because if you fail the second roll, you stay in the original hex, and if you try to move again, you are again trying to pass through both borders again. I don't see anything to indicate that even temporarily you are "between shields" from a mechanical perspective.

Of course, maybe there's a ruling from Cody that I missed somewhere that says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you have a reference on that?
It was on official response. It wasn't more than a month ago here on BGG, and I remember it very distinctly because it's not how I would have ruled it.

However I agree that it's certainly how it *should* work. You should not be doubly penalized for a quirk of the board setup. It's obvious that the shields can not actually be touching, heck it's obvious that there must be a much greater than 100 times your ship length between them, because physics. So there certainly is a time when you have passed the first shield, you've done so mechanically. Until you choose to give up trying to pass the second shield, that's when the mechanics would tell you that you must in fact still be inside the first border, because that's when it "fixes" your location into that hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickens
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In one of our games we played house rules that no planet could be placed adjacent to another planet.

It worked out fairly well and forced the layout to be more sprawling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.