Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good Games to play over Skype or Google Hangouts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I have friends who like to play games but have moved away, the other day we thought that playing over a video chat would be a great idea. The only problem is what to play, so my question is: What good games do y'all suggests we play over a video chat?

Thanks for your time and input!1d10 = (1) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 947906. TheSpiceOfLife
  • 1d10 =
  • (1) =
  • Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:26 pm
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What sorts of games are both of you into? That would make suggesting games easier.

Two games that I've played over skype:

Onitama. It's a two-player abstract strategy game that uses a face up pool of 5 cards to determine how you move your monks (pawns). Since all the information is available to both players all the time, playing on skype is easy.

Dice Masters. I linked Marvel Dice masters, but any theme will do. It's a two-player collectible card game that uses sets of dice for each hero. This one might get expensive as you'd both have to collect your favorite dice and cards then assemble a team to fight each other. Really like the system and it's quite easy to play over skype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
Are you thinking like to play where you each set up a copy and then play, because it's a lot easier to play over distance using vassal or yucata or something like that where you play online and don't have to worry about physical game pieces over the video chat. In that case, the options are fairly unlimited, so you could just play whatever games you normally like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
A new game my wife picked up at Gen Con called Bring Your Own Book plays really well over skype. We played the game for the first time over the phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[q="zappshmeow94"]What sorts of games are both of you into? That would make suggesting games easier.

We like all in that we are not very picky about the category. So the type of games we like is very random.

I like the idea you give about Dice Masters especially since we both love Marvel!!

Thanks for that suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
How many players do you have?

My friends and I play a lot on boiteajeax and boardgamearena. If you have more people, then you can find implementations for Spyfalls and the Resistance Avalon fairly easily as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played The Martian Investigations over Skype and it worked great. It's a fan made varient of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

As a matter of fact I intend to play Mythos Tales over Skype as well, as soon as it arrives that is ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherlock detective games I had not considered those types ok I'm going to suggest that this week.

We are usually 4 ppl in two locations but we have friends on NY that we would like to include so it may grow to a third group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheSpiceOfLife wrote:
I have friends who like to play games but have moved away, the other day we thought that playing over a video chat would be a great idea. The only problem is what to play, so my question is: What good games do y'all suggests we play over a video chat?

Thanks for your time and input! TheSpiceOfLife previously rolled 1d10 = (1) = 1

Have you tried online board games like Boardgamearena?

You can play a nice selection of games together that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pick up The Martian Investigations for a couple of dollars if you want to see if a game like this would work with your group.

Another suggestion is to try a light RPG. I'm thinking Lady Blackbird or Fiasco or something similar. Of course any full on RPG would probably work too but it takes a big time investment from all players.

I like Skype because of the "face to face" feeling and I find BGA and the like too remote-feeling for my preference. If you find games that work on Skype please post them here. I'm looking for more myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is how I feel about BGA too, we tried Pandemic shake didn't work to well unfortunately.

As for RPG's we were thinking of Star Wars Imperial Assault, since we all love star wars. Any thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.