Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
My girlfriend and I played this for the first time last night and loved it ... for the first hour. Then we reached a state where 3 of the hull sections were destroyed (thus preventing maneuvering), there were no more dilithium cards in the deck (thus preventing hull rebuilds), and we just failed mission after mission after mission, unable to accomplish any of the goals. At this point we were eager for death, but we quit without finishing because it looked as if neither of the fail conditions -- destruction of all six hull sections or dearth of cards -- would be triggered anytime soon.

Luck spared us death from hull destruction, because the randomly assigned enemies just weren't spawning in the sections where we still had hulls. But loss due to card shortage seems like a timing mechanic, ensuring that games don't overstay their welcome, that doesn't work very well.

Does anyone ever lose due to not being able to draw up to their hands size in phase one of a turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest I came was to win with 15 cards left in the deck (not counting cards in players' hands).

At one point, mid-game, we had 5 sections destroyed and the 6th was damaged. We had failed 3 missions by then. But we came back, thanks to mission rewards and having access to both dilithium and tritanium. By the end, we only had 1 destroyed section. That game took almost exactly 2 hours.

If the game had gone a bit differently, I could see how we might have lost due to running out of cards. But it's definitely going to be rare to lose that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's happened to me probably a little more often than destroying the ship. It starts out slow, but generally escalates pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
We play...if we fail on 2 missions...we lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
We play...if we fail on 2 missions...we lose.

I have played 4 full games, and won all of them. We have failed 2, 1, 4, and 3 missions, respectively. The games where you fail 3 or 4 provide the most epic fun, but they do run long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Yes, it's happened to me probably a little more often than destroying the ship. It starts out slow, but generally escalates pretty quickly.

I can imagine this might be due to a conscious strategy choice:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Focus damage on destroyed hull sections to maintain the ability to maneuver the ship, but with the cost of losing cards. Thematically we have tended to try to focus damage where the hull isn't already destroyed, but that might be a poor strategy for winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

I can imagine this might be due to a conscious strategy choice:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Focus damage on destroyed hull sections to maintain the ability to maneuver the ship, but with the cost of losing cards. Thematically we have tended to try to focus damage where the hull isn't already destroyed, but that might be a poor strategy for winning the game.

This has continually been our strategy-much better to lose cards than lose the ability to maneuver, in my opinion. I've not come close to losing all our cards yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkeeper wrote:
Does anyone ever lose due to not being able to draw up to their hands size in phase one of a turn?

Yes, in 1/4 games. Play single player Scotty and this will probably be the way you lose. You can actually end up with a pretty good lean deck in the end, if you are lucky with what gets removed by boarders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.