Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
A friend is willing to sell me a in shrink first edition with the expansion for around 40 bucks . I know the third edition is coming somewhere in the future and I am more interested in that but is this a good buy in the meantime to play now while we all wait . It seems from what I read there is some "arts and crafts " you need to do to make the first edition work and there is some errata to deal with . I am trying to figure out how much and is it better to just save time and money and wait for third edition . Any guidance would be helpful .
I mostly concerned with how much arts and crafts need to be done .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the 2nd edition (but played the 3rd using VASSAL).

I think it comes down to how soon do you want to play?

$40 sounds cheap. If it were me, I'd probably buy it, and keep it in shrink as a special game in my collection--it's first edition! You can "print-and-play" the second edition using the Zazzle map and some basic prototype parts (discs and cubes). The play mats are printable, but I don't know what you would do for cards.

High Frontier is a great game. I suspect the 3rd edition is a least another year or two away based on the Kickstarter campaign. So for $40, I'd buy that 1st edition copy immediately--for me the decision would be to open it and play it or keep it in shrink. If you open it, I'm sure you could just play it "as-is" and get the flavor of the game. I'd guess the only extra work you'd need to do was to get your 1st edition up to 2nd edition. Why do that w/ 3rd coming out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.