Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall hearing somewhere that designers shouldn't try to develop games that aren't the types they themselves enjoy playing. Since I'm not really a big fan of either real-time pressure or dexterity, I'm going to put this outline of a game design out there in case someone else would like to run with it...

The basic idea here is roughly a tabletop port of the old arcade game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_(video_game) .

The game consists of alternating phases. Phase A is a real-time tile-laying mechanism, similar to the first part of Galaxy Trucker, in which the player's grab tiles showing walls in various configurations from a central pile and have, say, 2 minutes to lay them out so that they enclose as large an area as possible. At the end of the phase, players place cannon tiles over the empty spaces inside there walls, with each cannon placed giving 3 cannonball tokens in phase B. (Larger fire cannon tiles give 3 fireball tokens instead.)

In Phase B, the players flick the cannonballs at each other's cities, and remove wall tiles accordingly, with fireballs leaving damage that lasts a round and can't be built over. The game ends when someone is unable to enclose an area, with victory possibly being decided by a scoring mechanism I haven't worked out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
That sort of reminds me of the game Battleground: Crossbows and Catapults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
I recall hearing somewhere that designers shouldn't try to develop games that aren't the types they themselves enjoy playing.

I made a post a couple weeks ago that sort of argued the opposite...

If you enjoy developing the game, that's probably enough.

But you also shouldn't worry if you don't use every idea that occurs to you. Most designers have far more ideas than they have time to develop.

A friend of mine is already developing a board game inspired by Rampart, though it sounds like a lot of the details you're imagining are different from his game. (That's pretty common--both that another designer would have the same general idea, and that the implementations would diverge wildly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Slaven
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
A friend of mine is already developing a board game inspired by Rampart, though it sounds like a lot of the details you're imagining are different from his game. (That's pretty common--both that another designer would have the same general idea, and that the implementations would diverge wildly.)

What a coincidence, I just started one too. I'm always a little behind the curve lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.