Glen Cooney
United States
Abington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I was a little confused on the correct interpretation of this condition. The text reads:

"You do not win the game as normal. Instead, at the end of the game, you win if the investigation is not complete. Otherwise, you lose the game."

So I see two ways of interpreting this:
1) In a strict reading, you only win the game if you "run out the clock" and the investigation remains incomplete and the Game Over Mythos event resolves.

2) In a looser reading, any circumstance where the investigators fail to complete the investigation triggers a win for the insane player. This seems the most intuitive interpretation but seems to open up a can of worms that may or may not be what the designers intended.

Not only could you run out the clock, you could try to kill yourself by fighting huge monsters unarmed, light yourself or others on fire, push a wounded investigator into danger, steal items back and forth, etc.

I feel like that could make the game get pretty chaotic, even silly, and possibly throw off the game balance.

So which one is the correct reading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your second choice except you need to be alive so you can't go suicidal against a monster or anything like that. You can however actively impede the progress of other investigators with fire, pushing, stealing, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the strict reading actually leads to option 2. The card does not mention how the game must end, just that it must.

Yes, the traitor thus created will be difficult for the other Investigators to deal with.

Edit: And as pointed out above, the Investigator cannot eliminate himself to win, as you cannot win while eliminated unless a card says otherwise, and this one does not.

Edit 2: Then again, that rule does only talk about not winning when the investigation is complete... You can argue that this is not covered by that rule. It is probably a better way to balance it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Transplanar wrote:
I was a little confused on the correct interpretation of this condition. The text reads:

"You do not win the game as normal. Instead, at the end of the game, you win if the investigation is not complete. Otherwise, you lose the game."

So I see two ways of interpreting this:
1) In a strict reading, you only win the game if you "run out the clock" and the investigation remains incomplete and the Game Over Mythos event resolves.

2) In a looser reading, any circumstance where the investigators fail to complete the investigation triggers a win for the insane player. This seems the most intuitive interpretation but seems to open up a can of worms that may or may not be what the designers intended.

Not only could you run out the clock, you could try to kill yourself by fighting huge monsters unarmed, light yourself or others on fire, push a wounded investigator into danger, steal items back and forth, etc.

I feel like that could make the game get pretty chaotic, even silly, and possibly throw off the game balance.

So which one is the correct reading?

First off, it's definitely the second interpretation. Additionally, what described sounds exactly like the behavior of an insane person (being chaotic and silly). Basically, you realize that your efforts are futile and just want everything to end; like many games with traitor mechanics, your sole mission becomes sabotaging the mission.

You can do so quite successfully, though I wouldn't call it unbalanced. Keep in mind that stealing or pushing both require opposing skill checks, fires can only be set if you have a light source, and you still have to roll dice to negate Damage/Horror during Mythos or while being attacked (you can choose not to spend clues to enhance those results, but you can't just refuse to make the check and kill yourself).

So, unless there are already some fires raging out of control for you to roll around in, killing yourself and ending the game isn't quite as easy as it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could perform pairs of trade actions in a monster's space to trigger multiple evade tests if you did want to accelerate your own demise. Along with the horror and attack tests you take, you should go down quickly.

That's why I think I may interpret the condition as you still must at least survive... It makes the traitor mechanic much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cooney
United States
Abington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sounds like I'm not the only one, then. Might me a question for the FAQs to settle.

BreadRising wrote:
First off, it's definitely the second interpretation. Additionally, what described sounds exactly like the behavior of an insane person (being chaotic and silly). Basically, you realize that your efforts are futile and just want everything to end; like many games with traitor mechanics, your sole mission becomes sabotaging the mission.

What makes it tricky is the flavor text points to a specific kind of insanity, not just out-of-your mind crazy. Essentially you become afraid of what you will uncover in the course of the investigation, and thus try to hinder it.

Plus I think with the potential exploit Jorgen points out, it sounds like playing non-suicidal yet still openly meddling sounds like the most reasonable interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.