$30.00
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lets say I have 3 juno rockets and I need all of them to produce enough thrust for a maneuver.

If I draw a minor or major failure on the first outcome, do I have to continue and still discard the other two rockets (and draw outcomes) or can I stop, since I won't have enough thrust regardless of outcomes?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always stopped. Hopefully that is the right way to play it.

There are other penalties to not producing thrust that will still be problems to solve.

For example, if your spacecraft does not move this turn, do you have enough supplies for the Life Support advancement?

Another risk is that your spacecraft may be lost if it ends the year in some locations (e.g., Inner Planets Transfer).

If you have enough budget left in the year, you may be able to launch a rescue craft to deliver another rocket and try again. You can double the difficulty of a maneuver to halve the time. So if you're trying to get to Venus or Mars, it can get really interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
I have always stopped. Hopefully that is the right way to play it.

There are other penalties to not producing thrust that will still be problems to solve.

For example, if your spacecraft does not move this turn, do you have enough supplies for the Life Support advancement?

Another risk is that your spacecraft may be lost if it ends the year in some locations (e.g., Inner Planets Transfer).

If you have enough budget left in the year, you may be able to launch a rescue craft to deliver another rocket and try again. You can double the difficulty of a maneuver to halve the time. So if you're trying to get to Venus or Mars, it can get really interesting!

Thank you! This is what makes me think I still have to discard the rockets:

To perform a maneuver a spacecraft must
generate thrust. The thrust required must
be at least the mass of the spacecraft times
the difficulty of the maneuver.

thrust required = mass × difficulty

Discard rockets from the spacecraft to generate the thrust listed on them, and/or
fire ion thrusters (page 26). When you fire a rocket or an ion thruster, draw
an outcome card from your advancement for that rocket/thruster to see if it is
successful.* If you have generated enough thrust, move the spacecraft token
to the new location card. If you have not generated enough thrust for any
reason (such as deciding not to fire any more rockets/thrusters), the spacecraft
remains where it is.

So the question is, do I need to discard all three Juno's at the same time (since to perform the maneuver I will need ALL the thrust they provide together) or can I do them one at a time to determine if I want to continue the maneuver or not?

I hope I'm wrong and you're right, otherwise it makes this game even more brutal!

For reference this is still on earth.

An additional question - Can I take the damaged rocket out of my spacecraft, buy another one, and reassemble and try again? (this is assuming I'm still on earth of course) Then use the damaged Juno next turn on a different spacecraft for another launch since repairs are free on earth at the end of the turn?

And do damaged rockets still take up mass? (I assume yes?)

I am absolutely loving this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
You fire rockets one at a time.

A major failure causes everything to be discarded, rockets and payload.

In the case of a minor failure you (may) just stop at that point without firing any further rockets.

For your new questions: On Earth you can reassemble and try again. You can use the damaged Juno next year. Damaged rockets still take up mass.

edit: Fixed as per post below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that you may continue as well. A minor failure in one rocket may still be a successfull maneuver, if you did take a "spare" rocket or did provide too much thrust in the first place. The failed rocket won't add thrust (but of course still weight) to the craft, but the maneuver only fails if the thrust that _was_ generated is less then the thrust required.

You may stop firing further rockets or you may continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hawkey

Tempe
Arizona
msg tools
To be clear... if I use three saturns and the second one is a minor failure, I just stop. So then I have 2 saturns stuck wherever and 1 is damaged? What if their was a repair astronaut? Can they immediately discard a supply to try a repair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not "immediately" in the sense of doing it mid-maneuver; but once the "maneuver" action has been aborted you can then perform a "repair" action with the mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.