1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card: Leave No Man Behind... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
For your consideration, I offer my first Story Card for Firefly: The Game. It is called "Leave No Man Behind..." Success requires a balanced crew, as goal completion leaverages different skill sets. Additionally, your travels will span both ends of The Verse.

The talents and support of Bill and George have been instrumental in getting it this far - my thanks gentlemen!

Please give it a try. Your comments and feedback are appreciated. Keep Flying and Leave No Man Behind...

(edit: reference version 2 below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Story Card - Leave No Man Behind...
This is obviously inspired by Jail Break. That's fair enough. Right now I'm not sure it's different enough.

How about complexifying it a bit with the compound tests introduced in Blue Sun? Say, goal 2 needs a Negotiation test (with the Fake ID bonus), and if that succeeds you go on to the Fight test?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Jail Break provided some inspiration. However, I think there's plenty of difference between them. For example, Jail Break lacks the Misbehaving requirements. This new story requires all three skill checks. With any luck, we have a more challenging story than what's presented in Jail Break. In terms of compound tests, my initial version included an imbedded test (like those in Blue Sun) for goal 1. It involved negotiating with Mr. Universe and then attempting a Tech test with Hacking Rig providing a bonus. Unfortunately trying to fit things on the card was problematic.

Good input Roger, thanks! thumbsup

Edit: Attempted to capture the disguise aspect in Goal 2 by using a bonus with FAKE ID. The thought being the ID helps you get further into the rescue before being discovered - thus reducing the number of people you have to Fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see what you mean - it just seems weird to have Fake ID be the key element there. Probably just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing at first. George helped me see the light here. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With respect to the FAKE ID, Bob and I discussed the idea that 12 Fight might be a little high and that perhaps there could be something that takes the edge off. I think I was the one who suggested FAKE ID, with the intention that it helps you get through the door, if you will. In a "cinematic" sense, the FAKE ID would help you get through a few layers of security, so it would reduce the amount of fighting you need to do, if that makes sense.

Although there's some similarity to Jail Break, I think the spread of skills required and how they're applied (including use of the Misbehaves) is very different. As a jailbreak scenario, I think this one may be more challenging, due to the varied needs. I like them both.

Bob, where did you get the images for the planets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George, that would be Bill's handy work. He put the card together for me. Turned out pretty nice! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice! I was going to ask him if he had the Kalidasa planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the alert tokens in goal 1 add an interesting new gameplay element we haven't seen before, but they may pose some challenges. First, if someone botches it slows down the game since everyone has to perform a dice roll for each sector they move through in alliance space. Second, each botch requires 32 tokens so you may very well run out of alert tokens if a couple people botch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be wrong, but I'm not seeing this slowing down the game immeasurably. Unless Crews are tackling the goal unprepared, we shouldn't see a lot of botches here. You make a good point about running out of tokens, though as just mentioned I'm not seeing people failing enough to make this a problem. But, it's easy enough to improvise if necessary. Additionally, each time you enter said sector, you remove ALL alert tokens regardless of the die roll (frees up these tokens). We've only run through it a few times so far, and have not had any problems. But worth watching as more people give it a try...

Good inputs, thanks. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it does slow things down, perhaps just PLANETARY sectors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to see the locations of Goals 1 and 2 switched. That would force the players to zig-zag across the board and create more opportunities for trailing players to catch up at the end of the game. Some may disagree that the increased Fly actions (and therefore, Nav card draws) adds too much randomness to the game, but that is my preference.

As it is, it is just a straight line from Blue Sun to Kalidasa to complete all three Goals, which is not very interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a good point. I'm fiddling with a story card right now and trying to send folks all over the 'Verse!

In an earlier draft, I believe Bob had the first goal at Cortex Relay 7, and I wonder if that would at least make the trajectory a little different. Alternately, Cortex Relay 2 (in Kalidasa) would force you to start in Kalidasa, jet into Alliance Space, then back to Kalidasa - and if you're required to be Solid with Mister Universe, you'll need to head to Blue Sun at least once, too.

Maybe that's TOO much travel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Maybe that's TOO much travel!

That's only a problem if you are worried about game length. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game length doesn't bother me either. You make a good point about the straight line of travel. It is my intent to include traveling The Verse as part of the challenge here. I'll take another look at this. Thanks Carl! thumbsup

As Bill mentioned, my first version had goal 1 at Cortex Relay 7. This involved an imbedded skill test using Negotiation and Tech. A question of having Mr. Universe hack the network vice the players using his equip came up and adjustments were made...

What do you think about Crews starting the game at Beaumonde? This would at least see travel out to Blue Sun and then working back to Beaumonde?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
What do you think about Crews starting the game at Beaumonde? This would at least see travel out to Blue Sun and then working back to Beaumonde?

I'm not a big fan of taking away the starting location choice. It's such an important decision for crew building based on leader, ship, and preferred strategy that it is a knob I would be hesitant to turn while the option to just move the goal locations around is still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm with you. Heck, I have mixed feelings on having to start at your Haven in certain job stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you, not many other options come to mind, short of a large overall. I'll reach out to Bill and see if we can make a couple tweaks: location swap for goal 1 & 2, and placing the alert tokens in Alliance planetary sectors. Barring further inputs, it's pretty solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a few days since version 2 was released, which Leader, Ship and Strategies do you think work best here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
It's been a few days since version 2 was released, which Leader, Ship and Strategies do you think work best here?

With the 12 point fight test, I'm thinking starting with Marco on Silverhold would be helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
Ashitaka wrote:

With the 12 point fight test, I'm thinking starting with Marco on Silverhold would be helpful!

What ship and type of Jobs would you pursue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given the high Test targets and the need for 9K, this is a pretty challenging card. I think any captain with the "usual" tactics would work. The trick here is to build up a potent crew as cheaply as possible and knock out a high-paying jobs to rack up the coin.

Ideally, I would probably start with Zoe on Meridian, preferably with Artful Dodger (for the larger crew). Grab everyone you can there, especially Cortland, then hit the road with a high-Fight, middle-high-Talk Crew. Mosey to Highgate, pick up a few Jobs from Harrow and head toward Lux by way of Mister Universe, and possibly Osiris to bolster your Tech. For bonus points, grab The Guardian, so you have 2 free Crew.

By the time you get there, pickin's for prime Crew will probably be slim, but you might have enough coin to pick up a piece or two of premium Gear. If you need to round out your low Tech, do it at "the Golden Triangle" of Persephone, Space Bazaar, or Beamonde, depending how each looks.

If Badger has any well-paying jobs, pick them up. Otherwise, head straight to Mingo & Fanty to get Solid with them. Notch up enough coin to pay for the final Goal, then loop back to Santo to start the goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering Atherton with Jetwash starting at Regina. Build up Fight, Tech (Kaylee if possible) and Negotiation along with several choice keywords to deal with the pesky Misbehaves. Haven't considered Jobs just yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several games, here is the final updated version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.