Subject: Trading phase in a game with three players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This came up in a test game I had with two opponents today.

Normally with 4-6 players, in the trading phase each player gets to obtain an item from an opponent who didn't collect one of the items he offered for trade. With 4-6 players this works out well, but with 3 players, we found it a bit cumbersome. With three players for example, X (trading leader) obtains an item from Y, who then has to take one of Z's items. Z then takes from X, X takes from Y, Y takes from Z, etc. In other words, X will collect everything Y offers for trade, forcing Y to collect everything from Z, and Z receives all the goods offered by X.

My opponents found this unfulfilling, and we felt it removed the finesse of the trading phase and the advantage of the trading leader.

We decided to adjust the trading phase rules for three players as follows: X collects one item from either Y or Z, Y or Z then collects from Z or Y, who then collects from X. X is now allowed to collect his next item from either Y or Z (he's not forced to trade with whoever didn't collect from him, which would normally be the case). For example:

X collects from Y, Y from Z, Z from X. X then decides to collect his second item from Z, who then collects from Y, Y collects from X. X then picks his third item from Y, Y from Z, Z from X.

X receives 2 items from Y, 1 item from Z; Y receives 2 items from Z, 1 item from X; Z receives 2 items from X, 1 item from Y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Hi there

Are the rules any different for 3 players as I cannot spot them.

As it stands X obtains an item from Y, Y can then take an item from X or Z.

What cannot happen is that X, Y or Z cannot take an item from the same player twice in succession.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe you're correct. I just re-read the rules, and I believe I've confused this version of the rules, with the rules used in the original game.

I'm pretty sure you weren't allowed to obtain a resource from the player who just took one of your resources, in the original version of the game, but I haven't played the original game in 5 years. In which case I could take one of your resources, and you would then have to take a resource offered by one of the other opponents, but you would not be permitted to take one of my resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Trygve,

Actually, in your example, Y can take goods from X initially. The rule is you can't take goods from 1 opponent 2 times in a row. In your example, that means if X takes from Y and Y takes from X, X can't take from Y again, but must instead take from Z.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.