Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: Evolution in Action - Video of Bacteria Adapting to Antibiotics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across an article with a video that I think is both interesting as well as relevant in terms of what Evolution portrays and thought this group might want to check it out: http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/stunning-...

I knew life forms continuously adapt, but I was surprised at how quickly the bacteria overcame barriers in this experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this same experiment in science class when I was in college. It's very easy to do. But this video is more elaborate and does a great job of visualizing the process. Thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was awesome! Great find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim O'Leary
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bacterial motility FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty interesting that, after the first barrier, some of the mutant strains hit the next one and go, "meh", and keep on going! wow

Meanwhile, our immune system STILL hasn't gotten the memo that we have mitochondria in our body!
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-03/bidm-irt0301...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, it's not exactly our mitochondria. They are an invader and a handy one at that.

Also, quite appropriate for Bios Megafauna where everything wants to kill your animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We did this same experiment in science class when I was in college. It's very easy to do. But this video is more elaborate and does a great job of visualizing the process. Thanks for the link!

Yes, but did you get a paper in Science for it? These authors did! Why? No idea but it looks cool and was on Facebook so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Yes, but did you get a paper in Science for it? These authors did! Why? No idea but it looks cool and was on Facebook so...

Facebook didn't exist at the time and I had never heard of the internet! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.