Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode # 96 is up!

http://www.funagain.com/control/viewblogpost?contentBlogPost...

In this jam packed episode, Mary interviews many notables in the gaming industry - including Jay Tummelson. She also gives a lot of news - including a Valley Games exclusive announcement, and Sam and Tom discuss the upcoming Fantasy Flight games. Moritz talks about Yspahan, and Eric takes a trip to the extremely exclusive Dice Tower convention. Sam and Tom talk about recent gaming at Camp Casey - and their differing views of Liberte. Finally, we round the show out with our biggest disappointments in games, from Jason, Greg, and Tom.

Top Ten list is here:

http://www.thedicetower.com/thedicetower/index.php?page=top_...

Enjoy!

Tom Vasel
"Real men play board games"
www.thedicetower.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdsville. One of Greg's Top 10 disappointing games is Duel of Ages, which is one of your all time favs.
That's a 7-10 split from two well-known reviewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Did you folks have "Nightmares in 4-D" about those? Were your "disappointments" self-developing, in some naturally occurring fashionings? Had you been able to "resolve" the millenias-long 'problems' of HOW to enact a 4-player "Solitaire" game? Well, if you haven't then you're a bunch of 'slackers'! oh, and you might want to try that "Crocodile Pool Party" some then.
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting an error with my iTunes subscription for the extended edition. Can you take a look at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I'm getting an error with my iTunes subscription for the extended edition. Can you take a look at it?

Same here, plus I'm missing the end of episode 95

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check on the error for this week. Last week, # 95 was cut off because I couldn't make the file go longer (I had some help - so hopefully next week will be easier). This week I split the file into two parts. Maybe that's the error?

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the feed for Part A is messed up for the enhanced podcast. Part B came in fine.

DC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how the majority of the "disappointing" games on these guy's lists are from minor or defunct publishers. C'mon now, people were really expecting games like Paradice, Time Control, Section X and Globopolis to set the world on fire? Ok...so Greg went out on a limb and put a couple of Rio Grande games on there, but I think it's safe to say that this mission was accomplished without affending any of the major players. If you're a Eurogamer, shoudln't Alea games like Fifth Avenue or Mammoth Hunters make the list? And what about Tempus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gialmere wrote:
Weirdsville. One of Greg's Top 10 disappointing games is Duel of Ages, which is one of your all time favs.
That's a 7-10 split from two well-known reviewers.

You guys need to hash this out and give us an answer! Perhaps you could play Duel of Ages, best 2 out of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
And what about Tempus?

I really like Tempus.

It was disappointing, though, that the games in these lists ended up being so obscure and non-consequential. I don't see any big conspiracy here, but is this perhaps an indication that Tom needs to be a bit more critical in general? I really appreciate his reviews, because they give a very good idea of the gameplay and components in most cases, but it's hard to believe that *none* of the high-profile releases in the last few years have been disappointing enough to make the Top 10 list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the qualities that make a game disappointing instead of just bad? I understand some disappointment when any game does not live up to full potential but if it was from a no name company, or a company with zero track record, how disappointing can it be?

How many of the disappointing games could you really expect to be great games?

In all I found the lists pretty cool, doubly so because there were games one of you liked that the other found disappointing, however I think you'd need to do another list of games that were just plain old bad and move some of those games over to it. Then again I think there was one that was disappointing for the time, and now it wouldn't shock you at all to find a game fitting that description was a big ol' bottle of suckola cola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having thought it over, I'd have to say one of my biggest disappointments was every re release of Cosmic Encounters. Yeah, the EON edition was flawed, but it had all the right stuff and all that was required was to make it work well together. The West End Games version was very disapointing, and the Mayfair version just about made up for it, but there are still so many timing issues and things that could be streamlined to make it a much more playable game.

The Avalon Hill version... well.. it just looks bad. They glitzed it up in ways that limited it's usefulness. The board design requires much more space than it should, the Alien illustrations have lost their character, and it only supports four players. I own it, I just haven't convinced myself it is worth playing.

There is a good game in there, waiting to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
I love how the majority of the "disappointing" games on these guy's lists are from minor or defunct publishers. C'mon now, people were really expecting games like Paradice, Time Control, Section X and Globopolis to set the world on fire? Ok...so Greg went out on a limb and put a couple of Rio Grande games on there, but I think it's safe to say that this mission was accomplished without affending any of the major players. If you're a Eurogamer, shoudln't Alea games like Fifth Avenue or Mammoth Hunters make the list? And what about Tempus?

I actually enjoy Tempus and find it is a good game. I wasn't disappointed in that one at all.

Fifth Avenue is fragile. It can be quite good if folks don't rush to place businesses.

Mammoth Hunters ... yeah, I was a bit disappointed, but I honestly didn't expect much. The game is fun, but there is very little control. So, yes ... that would be a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.