Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the 3rd edition of this game is going for a premium price. Seems like one can save a substantial bundle if this 2nd edition was purchased instead unless???

- What will I be missing if I acquired the 2nd edition
- For the novice player is there anything noticeable I should be concerned about?
- Are the components, especially the miniatures, on par with the 3rd edition?

I would love to hear your opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the version, you should dump the rules and play by the living rules. Second edition has a much larger box because it comes with a foam board instead of a cardboard one. While the foam board looks neat, the minis are somewhat unstable on it and tip over if you are not careful. I don't remember the other differences though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello, my baby; hello, my honey;
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth noting--a new box set will be arriving late this year or early next year (sooner rather than later, it appears).

It will come with nice-looking orc and human teams and rules very much like the LRB6/CRP rules, which as Chris said, are the current rules.

If I were just getting into the game, I'd wait for this one rather than purchasing one of the old versions. (If you have a group that plays, you can probably get started without buying the box, and just get that when it comes along.)

EDIT: To actually answer your questions, though:

The 2nd edition of the game is completely different from 3rd edition. 3E added in the block dice and the turnover mechanic that makes the game all about risk management. 2E is much more of a Warhammer-y battle game on a sports field.

The 2nd Edition minis are all the same; 3E has different minis for each position, which is a pretty big deal, I think. You'd be missing the block dice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron, those points are well-noted. Will they be calling this a Fourth Edition print you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
Ron, those points are well-noted. Will they be calling this a Fourth Edition print you think?

That's a matter of some debate , as the Living Rulebook has been called Fourth Edition, and GW has made "Fifth Edition" minis for some players (very unofficially designated). The community would undoubtedly number this edition as Fifth at the very least; we'll see what GW goes with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:

The 2nd edition of the game is completely different from 3rd edition. 3E added in the block dice and the turnover mechanic that makes the game all about risk management. 2E is much more of a Warhammer-y battle game on a sports field.

The 2nd Edition minis are all the same; 3E has different minis for each position, which is a pretty big deal, I think. You'd be missing the block dice as well.

I think you are incorrect here. I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that second edition comes with block dice and different minis for the different positions. Perhaps you are thinking about first edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
puzzlemonkey wrote:

I think you are incorrect here. I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that second edition comes with block dice and different minis for the different positions. Perhaps you are thinking about first edition?

First Edition was cardboard standees. (Man, I loved that one...)
Second Edition was the Astrogranite field, uniform minis, and regular dice.
Third Edition had the block dice and different sculpts for the players.

There was a different printing of the Third Edition that came in a different box (and at least some of them had a copy of the "Living" edition of the rulebook, I think), but don't confuse the two different 3E printings. Second Edition can be easily distinguished by the big ol' polystyrene field!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked my second edition. You were right and I was wrong. The figures are the same and I have a homemade block die. It just goes to show how long since I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just saw a near-complete set of 2E go on ebay for $18. That's less than some pitches. If you can find a 2E set for that cheap, grab it. You can buy block dice and download the Living Rulebook and you're set.

As for 2E rules...I never liked them. 3E on up rules are much better imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.