Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
In Climate, the body size of your species is no longer strictly an advantage against predators, but also relates to your ability to survive the changing climate.

Playing a card to increase your body size is fairly straightforward, but in Climate decreasing your body size could be critical to survival as well. The rules don't appear to say anything about decreasing body size, but it seems reasonable to me that playing a card to increase or decrease body size should be fine and wouldn't cause any balancing issues.

If I choose to play the game with that in effect, would that be my own house rule or is this part of the game and just not explicitly stated in the current rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be your own house rule, but it would be a very good house rule. It was in the rules until the very last minute, when we removed everything that was not core to the game play (meaning it didn't get used very often).

You might find it interesting to learn that the original base game in 2013 had that rule, but we removed it for the same reason: it stopped getting used once we changed the card pool around and removed two of the reasons you might not want to be large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
domcrap wrote:
removed two of the reasons you might not want to be large.

And what were they? Curious minds and house rulers want to know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of them was a defensive card about hiding in small places something like this:

"This species can be attacked by a Carnivore of Body Size 1. This species cannot be attacked by a Carnivore which has a larger Body Size."

I can't remember the other one right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
One of them was a defensive card about hiding in small places something like this:

"This species can be attacked by a Carnivore of Body Size 1. This species cannot be attacked by a Carnivore which has a larger Body Size."

I'd love to see effects like that in a future expansion. With species frequently changing body size as they evolve (pygmy species, etc), it'd be neat to have that reflected in gameplay as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Dom.

And yeah, I love the idea of a card like you described. Makes sense to be a mouse when all the predators are t-rex size.

Another reason small is good is limited resources. Another card might read:

Scrounger: If there is no food in the watering hole after the food cards are revealed and your species is body size 1, take 1 food from the food bank.

Might help species to survive on scraps during those meager times after meteors hit not unlike our mammalian ancestors did after the K-T impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
domcrap wrote:
You might find it interesting to learn that the original base game in 2013 had that rule, but we removed it for the same reason: it stopped getting used once we changed the card pool around and removed two of the reasons you might not want to be large.

That's something that doesn't apply to evolution: climate, as decreasing your body size is an important game mechanic that's (palpably) missing from the game. Body size can only go up, but the penalty is heavy if the climate goes the other way. I think we'll talk about allowing to decrease body size as a house rule next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valsimot8645653 wrote:
domcrap wrote:

That's something that doesn't apply to evolution: climate, as decreasing your body size is an important game mechanic that's (palpably) missing from the game. Body size can only go up, but the penalty is heavy if the climate goes the other way. I think we'll talk about allowing to decrease body size as a house rule next time.

We allowed that rule for nearly 10 of our CLIMATE play tests and it was only used once. That's not enough utility for me to include a rule in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it'd be used more if there was also a rule that carnivores could be at most say 2 steps larger than their prey. In general I'd imagine a carnivore will hunt what gives it the most calories for the least effort, which would be something as close to its own size as it could manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Handley
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
I've only played a few times so far so I'll have to take Dominic's word for it that it's hardly ever useful. I'm slightly surprised, though, as I expected that even without climate you'd sometimes want to make your non-carnivore smaller to make it less worthwhile to attack. A predator may be willing to lose a population or discard a card for 3 food but probably not for 1. I could easily imagine someone trying to size up for defence, getting outgunned, and drawing a horns card in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending a card to increase BS and then another card to decrease BS is about the least smart use of your cards I can imagine. Yes, there is probably a time when it's the right move but it would not happen very often.

It takes new players a while to understand the value of a card. In the first 4 rounds of the game, cards are the most critical thing to monitor with regards to who is doing well. Converting those extra cards into points happens best in the last couple of rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.