Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really surprised that no background for any of the cards was included in the rules/playbook! As this game is very educational, the card background, to me, is a vital component of fully enjoying this game. So why it would be scheduled to be published separately in C3i Nr30, as mentioned in the rulebook/playbook, is beyond my understanding. In addition, why would we need to pay $35 for a magazine just to get what should have been included in the rules/playbook of this expansion? Hopefully, something can be done about this because it's just a few pages...

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing, certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
Disappointing, certainly.
More like inexcusable.
C'mon GMT. Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "inexcusable" is an exaggeration.

There are printing costs associated with additional material, and extra stuff - designer's notes, background, variants, expansions, and the like - has traditionally been the purpose of in-house magazines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
I think "inexcusable" is an exaggeration.

There are printing costs associated with additional material, and extra stuff - designer's notes, background, variants, expansions, and the like - has traditionally been the purpose of in-house magazines.
I'd beg to differ on that. Most of my old games (by "old" here I mean the 80s) have the designer notes and historical commentary right there in the rules of play, at the end.

The magazines offered even *more* material, yes, (additional scenarios/variants/etc) but I'm hardpressed to think of a historically-based wargame in my collection that doesn't have this included.

Now perhaps it has been a trend to omit this material in new (and newer) games. Still, for a historically-based wargame, IMO I'd still call it an inexcusable omission.

There are other ways to save on printing costs (which, for this, are really the paper costs--not the printing costs per se). Cutting back on relevant content wouldn't be necessary if the paper used wasn't so heavy or glossy, for example; or if it was printed as 2-color rather than 4-color throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten mine yet (waiting patiently...OK, impatiently), so not sure what is and isn't there...but we certainly have gotten spoiled by GMT's material on this. I've got Conquest of Paradise on P500, and I was looking at the PDF of that rulebook - the descriptions and notes there are terrific.

I wonder...given that this is essentially news as it happens - for those of you who already have it, what is the most current event in the package? Anything that associates with 2016 even? I wonder if getting the background notes done just didn't fit the timeline?

Also - any word if additional cards might be in the next C3i also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Guys, it was my call not to include the event card background in the game expansion. I did not realize how much time goes into the final stages of a game design and I did not have enough bandwidth to prepare the article in time. Most of the time I would have spent on the event card background article was spent on developing the Player Aid Card (PAC). Originally we did not think the expansion required a general PAC, since most of the expansion mechanics were modifiers to the original Labyrinth tables, but decided in the final stages to add it in. I hope I spent my time in the right location. As it is, I sent the Event Background article to Rodger at C3i last week, so it is complete now. I hope you find the information worth the wait.

As to the last question, the game includes just a couple of cards from 2016 "Paris Attacks" being the most recent, though this card covers events from 2015 and 2016 including Brussels), so the expansion mostly ends with 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorbender wrote:
I hope I spent my time in the right location.

You did.

Now my copy of the game needs to get to the "right location", post haste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorbender wrote:
Guys, it was my call not to include the event card background in the game expansion.
This doesn't explain why it is not being posted online rather than sold separately at a rather high price point (if indeed what the OP writes is true).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor, thanks for the info - after I wrote my previous note, I reread your inside GMT blog on the end date.

Congratulations on getting this out the door, and I hope you're satisfied with the end result!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
provence wrote:
So why it would be scheduled to be published separately in C3i Nr30, as mentioned in the rulebook/playbook, is beyond my understanding. In addition, why would we need to pay $35 for a magazine just to get what should have been included in the rules/playbook of this expansion? Hopefully, something can be done about this because it's just a few pages...

Seriously? GMT should be ashamed of themselves for pulling this crap again (they did the same thing with the Govt bot sheet in Andean Abyss). It's totally ridiculous to hide it away in an expensive magazine that costs about as much as the expansion.

If writers want to put extra stuff for the game in the magazine, strategy guides, designer notes etc then that's fair enough - but things that were intended to be in the original game but weren't included for whatever reason should be made available as a free PDF on the game's webpage.

We pay enough for games and expansions. We don't need to pay more for things that should have been in the game to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morocco Mole
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Now posted.

Thanks Trevor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As are the rules!

So yes, thanks Trevor!1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor - thanks for the Designer Notes; as a COR just back from my 6th grader's first troop campout, I really appreciate the linkage back to Scouts. A different starting point than you see in a lot of designer notes, but a good read! Thanks for the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
...as a COR just back from my 6th grader's first troop campout, I really appreciate the linkage back to Scouts.

Scott, I finished those designer notes nearly a year ago. Since then my responsibilities in Boy Scouts of America (BSA) have changed from being Scoutmaster of Troop 711 to becoming the District Commissioner of the Buena Creek District in the San Diego Imperial Council (SDIC). I am responsible for the quality of the program for 54 units. A lot more meetings and a lot less camping

The uniqueness of the Designer Notes in the back of the combined rules and playbook was due to my approach of keeping a near weekly journal describing the progress of designing a card driven game based on current events. I wanted others to see how events happening real-time influenced the design over the year and a half it took to complete playtest and development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.