Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*See thread title*

It seems like this could be a potential problem considering clues are supposed to be said "without hesitation".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
good question - and it happened in testing
you just say the same clue - and that then leads to an interesting discussion about whether you both mean the same thing, or was one copying the other. Makes for a perfectly good game dynamic - if the clue was crashingly obvious it reinforces it for the gooseberry - if it was subtle then both people are trying to work out if the other knows without giving it away. the Q&A after the clue-giving is the most fun, and repeating the same clue doesn't reduce that

good question - but given it happens (particulalry the first time a group plays, before they discover they need to get subtle) I addressed it in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikki wrote:
you just say the same clue - and that then leads to an interesting discussion about whether you both mean the same thing, or was one copying the other. Makes for a perfectly good game dynamic - if the clue was crashingly obvious it reinforces it for the gooseberry - if it was subtle then both people are trying to work out if the other knows without giving it away. the Q&A after the clue-giving is the most fun, and repeating the same clue doesn't reduce that

good question - but given it happens (particulalry the first time a group plays, before they discover they need to get subtle) I addressed it in the rules

Thanks for the thoughtful response--makes perfect sense. Gooseberry sounds like a lot of fun! I'm hoping to have someone pick up and send me a copy from Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into this on two occasions while playing just this evening. Once the second player felt obliged to change their mind and blurt out another word. Another time the second person just repeated the same word as the first person. In each instance it sparked conversation about how and why they made the decision they did which added fodder for accusations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Want to join a boardgaming club in Zuid-Limburg? www.BoardGamingInc.be
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
Rikki wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response--makes perfect sense. Gooseberry sounds like a lot of fun! I'm hoping to have someone pick up and send me a copy from Essen.

We rule that players say words in turn (giving the Gooseberry a bit of time to think of something fitting, if he/she's not the first one that is), and if a word is already said, the other player has to quickly choose a new word.

And there's a clone of this game out now called Chameleon. Looks exactly the same, so perhaps you can find a copy of that. I wonder what the designers and La Mame Games think of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Sjeng wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:
Rikki wrote:

We rule that players say words in turn (giving the Gooseberry a bit of time to think of something fitting, if he/she's not the first one that is), and if a word is already said, the other player has to quickly choose a new word.

And there's a clone of this game out now called Chameleon. Looks exactly the same, so perhaps you can find a copy of that. I wonder what the designers and La Mame Games think of that...

The designer and La Mame Games think ......it is the same game !

- the big Potato boys licensed it and did a GREAT job, the design is way nicer, there are 40 topics, not 4 - its got a big box and huge dice and you can buy it at Target in the USA, BUT its now called Chameleon (because Gooseberry was too far out for the average dude) and it costs more

so if you have the original Gooseberry you can consider yourself an avant-garde gamer and if you ever play Chameleon you can quietly let it be known you have an original first edition hand-packed by the designer's family and only ever on sale at Essen ....(not sure anyone will care - but if I was there I'd say - yeah that's cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.