Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greetings all!

I'm pleased to announce a Sopwith Camel flight model for Ace of Aces. This new system models bank, roll rate, climb, speed and max speed.

To play, each player will need:

1. Camel flight model
2. Privacy shield
3. "Energy" die, numbered 0 to 4
4. Move Marker (see top picture)

The above are images for the Flight Model and the Privacy Shield. Print the Privacy Shield at the exact same scale as the Flight Model. Fold it down the middle so one side faces you and the other faces your opponent (see images above). You can raise its height by inserting another paper.

Energy Die are easy: just tape a "0" over the "6" of a normal die. The maximum energy of a Camel is 4, although other aircraft will have different maximums.

For a Move Marker, you need a pointer that can clearly point out which small move icon you committed to. I prefer a clear plastic with a hole drawn in it, but you could use any clear plastic sheet, a paper with a hole punched in it, a small ring of some sort, maybe even a nut or washer... there are a lot of options.

For your convenience, you can print the enclosed Movement Guide and cut it in two so both players can see what the Ace of Aces arrows actually do.

We haven't had a chance to play test this very much yet. This system is designed to preserve the speed Ace of Aces plays at, but since there is now a lot more depth, play tempo is destined to be slower.

I will upload rules and instructions in a reply thread, but I better post this now before my internet crashes on me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In this variant, all movement choices are restricted to one of four columns: Blue (left bank), Black (level bank), Red (loop or inverted bank) and Gray (right bank).

When beginning the game, both players start on page 170 with max energy and in level bank.

Within your column, you must select a move. Consider this sample from the Blue column containing moves K and L:

Since you are choosing from this column, you are currently in LEFT bank. If you choose move L, you have the option of three banks:

- right bank (one red dot: lose one energy)
- level bank (one green dot: gain one energy)
- left bank (one green dot: gain one energy).

If you choose move K, then you have only one option of bank:

- left bank (two red dots: lose one energy plus STEEP (yellow fill): you may not shoot this turn and your next move may not be yellow either)

Place your move indicator on the move of your choice:

Adjust the die to show your new bank and energy then place it in front of your screen so your opponent can see as well:

You may now use the Ace of Aces books to determine your new positions. Replace the privacy shields and pick new moves.

The MAX ENERGY for a Camel is 4. Green dots beyond this speed have no effect.

If your energy goes below zero, take two points of damage and return to page 170.

You may NOT make two YELLOW moves in a row. You may not SHOOT after doing a YELLOW move.

Shooting:
Use basic shooting rules (for now): 4 points for close range, 2 points for medium, 1 point for far, up to 12 points total.

Good luck and good shooting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.