Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere I found any mention about the topic of Bank money: should it be kept secret as Cash money or not?

Not a major issue, I admit, but we always played with both money secret, and I wonder how other people play in regard of this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer openness in any kind of game. I don't like a memory aspect in the games I play, thus if you can keep track of things by remembering each and every action I prefer to have all things out in the open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try to keep in mind the money of all players in a "cash secret" game, but, in 4 or 5, after 3-4 turns or you're a Pico Della Mirandola or you'll never know the amount of money the other players will have.

It's like in 1830, where personal money is secret and companies' money isn't, in my opinion if you let Cash money open, the game will bog up in a continous "how much do you have in cash? (count his/your/their money, make assumptions, think, can I win the merger?, etc.)" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Galandil wrote:
You can try to keep in mind the money of all players in a "cash secret" game, but, in 4 or 5, after 3-4 turns or you're a Pico Della Mirandola or you'll never know the amount of money the other players will have.

Paper and pencil is a wonderful thing.

Quote:
It's like in 1830, where personal money is secret and companies' money isn't, in my opinion if you let Cash money open, the game will bog up in a continous "how much do you have in cash? (count his/your/their money, make assumptions, think, can I win the merger?, etc.)" game.

I've never played an 18XX with closed money or actually seen an 18XX played with closed money. We and every other group I've seen played open, usually via poker chips (which allow almost instant-glance calculations as to other's holdings) or via Lemmi's moderator (which makes all numbers in the entire system public).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Paper and pencil is a wonderful thing.

And in a table with secret money you'd never seat with paper and pencil. Unless against a bunch of dumb monkeys that don't see the wrong link between "secret money" and "write down players money".

Quote:
I've never played an 18XX with closed money or actually seen an 18XX played with closed money. We and every other group I've seen played open, usually via poker chips (which allow almost instant-glance calculations as to other's holdings) or via Lemmi's moderator (which makes all numbers in the entire system public).

I always played with private money secret and companies' money open, since in the real world you're (kinda) allowed to know the amount of money in cash of a company but not the amount of money owned privately by their stock holders.

Though, my question was not to debate about closed/open money in Indonesia, just to know how to manage Bank money in a closed Cash money game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.