Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found the game pretty unbalanced after a few plays, but after checking here we found that it was the opposite of everyone else's experience.

Not only did the raptors win three games in a row, but they won it very easily -- by eating all the scientists.

At this point I feel like we may be doing something horribly wrong.
I can't seem to understand how the scientists can fight back against the momma raptor moving so fast across the board and the 2! different cards that let the momma disappear and then look at the opponent's next card before playing (seems very OP to me!)

I tried in our last game to get reinforcements out quick and it still didn't work.

Anyone else have these issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you double checked the rules to make sure that you're playing correctly? I have a feeling that something might be a bit off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did.

Thought maybe the momma isn't supposed to move so far or so fast. (She is.)
Or that maybe the raptor's disappearance card was played wrong. (It wasn't.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Herrero
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I feel it is very balanced but it may lean towards the scientists.
Are they shooting the mom (that makes her have fewer actions)? Are you using the cards that allows you to put more scientists into play? Are you subtracting the value of the cards you play? Only in rare occasions the mom is going to move 4-3 times. Also, killing a scientist counts as an action.
I am afraid you must be missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donie wrote:
I feel it is very balanced but it may lean towards the scientists.
Are they shooting the mom (that makes her have fewer actions)? Are you using the cards that allows you to put more scientists into play? Are you subtracting the value of the cards you play? Only in rare occasions the mom is going to move 4-3 times. Also, killing a scientist counts as an action.
I am afraid you must be missing something...

Yeah ... Double check all these rules. Also - only the lower played cards gets its ability. And the higher card only gets the difference between the cards played. Equal cards are no-action. And you only have a hand of 3 cards. Also the discard piles are public knowledge (can help you decide what to play in subsequent turns). This is a tightly designed game and a simple rules mistake can really change the balance.

If all of this is correct, there is also some strategy when playing scientists ... Play them somewhat close together and make sure that if one is taken by the momma - it makes her in line with other scientist(s) for the next turn so that you can shoot her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... all these rules were played correctly.

I think our strategy is just not very good for the scientists.
We may just both inherently understand how to play the raptors better.

Although I still think that momma disappearing card is over powered...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've probably played around 30 games and the game seems pretty balanced to me.

Me thinks you just aren't playing a very good scientist, which should be easier if you know her primary strategy (eating you!) You should be able to put her down, in my experience an aggressive momma is hard to pull off, unless the scientists leave themselves open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Opposite balance issues -- Raptors winning easily every
bigGameGeek wrote:
Yeah I've probably played around 30 games and the game seems pretty balanced to me.

Me thinks you just aren't playing a very good scientist, which should be easier if you know her primary strategy (eating you!) You should be able to put her down, in my experience an aggressive momma is hard to pull off, unless the scientists leave themselves open.

Hello,

I played like a hundred games in its final version... Because I wanted it as balanced as possible. It was balanced enough; but of course everyone has a style and strength that may better apply to one of the sides. I personally I definitely play the raptor' better... I feel like most people are better with scientists. Hope you will still enjoy the game as mush as we do.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

OP never mentions the baby raptors, so I think that may be where they got the rules wrong, because they give very strong leverage to the scientists. Given enough Action Points, one can easily put 2 or 3 babies to sleep in a single turn, and then the Momma can have a hard time saving/waking enough of them.

Did you realize the Momma cannot wake up a baby that was just put to sleep ? That she needed to be next to a baby to wake it up ? That two scientists teaming up can capture a baby in a single turn ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we knew all these rules.

It just seemed that the scientists were usually eaten before they could do much damage to the baby raptors. We'd usually capture, at most, one in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 10 games with my wife (changing the roles after one game) and the scientists won 9 times! Scientists won everytime by capturing 3 babies. Once the raptor won by escaping with 3 babies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.