Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I played my first game of Robinson Crusoe solo with Friday and the dog. I got destroyed.

Reading through the forums, I notice a few mistakes I made:
- Lost 1 wound instead of 2 for not feeding my guy (at the end).
- Used abilities multiple times without marking them.
- Forgot about the scenario specific items.

Otherwise, I think I got the rules right.

I could not find a way to get tons of wood? How often do you gather wood?

I got food. My camp had 1 wood. I built some cool stuff. I found some treasures. When I started rolling the weather die in later rounds I just didn't have enough food and wood to stay alive.

I consistently used 2 workers whenever possible to not roll dice and draw cards. How often do you use 2 workers? I did about 2 or 3 things per turn.

I explored 6 tiles and built a shelter on the opposite end of the island. How many tiles do you usually explore? I could not find a certain terrain I wanted.

I'm hoping to do better the second time around, but I definitely could use any tips you have for new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you did the first scenario, building the scenario items is important. Getting the extra wood during production from the hatchet is pretty great.

Need to have a roof in place before the weather comes.

You can't just use two workers all the time. You need to take some chances. It's not about surviving in perfect health, it's about surviving.

I explore so I can get discovery tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that like many eurogames, winning this is about getting an efficient economy asap. In this game, economy is essentially building things - or rather - the right things.

As mentioned, the hatchet is key - +1 free wood a turn. Also, anything giving you bonus pawns, or bonus resources per pawn, etc.

And the faster you get them, the better your chances of winning.

So, my feel is that I use double pawns when something is deep on your critical path. For example, if you need the hatchet to get the bonus wood, to get the bonus pawn, to get the bonus resource, to build the roof needed to survive... well, I'd double pawn that hatchet, because that one failure is almost like 4 failures - 4 turns in a row are now delayed.

When its not on your critical path, split your pawns. Odds are at least one will succeed and maybe both. Now you're slightly ahead.

High morale is the gift that keeps on giving every turn. Max out your determination tokens every round - this is one of the easiest resources to get for free.

Also, all these bonuses compound the earlier you get them. So, also like most eurogames, learn when you're close enough to the end that improving economy ceases to be as important as cashing in on it for your victory conditions. ie, stop building inventions at a point and hoover up wood and food like nobody's business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
explore quickly & get those exploration tokens.

fortune favors the bold...you'll have to take a lot of chances & roll dice with single pawn actions.

keep morale above zero1

get weapon level & hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
서 보국
South Korea
flag msg tools
i`m not English speaker. so my English is terrible. sorry about that.

i think most important of all, keep morale high, build shelter fast as you can and focus on scenario object.

morale is important because determination token is so essential.

for example,if you use carpenter`s economical construction,
you can use 1 less wood. it's like you use 1 pawn to gathering wood.
only use 2 determination tokens. and no dice.

build shelter is important because if you don`t you lose 1 health every round. lose health is critical because you also lose moral and if you want recover health you need use 1 pawn.

focus on scenario object is important because rc is scenario driven game.
i think all items in rc are useful but most items varied by circumstance.
only items that always useful is food items. but these also varied by player number.

another important thing is event card resolution action. most event give you little determination tokens and event resolution is first of all action phase, you can use these tokens to later actions. i`m often break
through difficult situation by control event resolution carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Need to have a roof in place before the weather comes.

This !
For the 1st scenario solo, this is absolutely a must. Otherwise, you dive in an endless cycle where weather discard all the wood you produced or gathered and the pile never get filled

Hatchet of course is a must have, the earlier the better.

Try to keep 2 pawn assignment for only vital stuffs, for all the rest, best to use 1 pawn. There are actually some adventure cards that are not so bad by the way (and remember that you have 5/6 chance of success in exploring and gathering)

Use a lot your abilities (once per turn of course), with morale up every round, should have enough determination tokens

Good luck ! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, senorcoo made a great little summery, on which you can work out your way now. But I would dismiss all these morale advises as long as you are playing solo, because in solo mode, you are on auto-high-morale.

The three characters recommended for solo play all have at least one particular useful skill to help in the first scenario. Make yourself aware, which skills these are and use your determination tokens to full advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.