Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a full game yet, just sort of taught myself the rules and had the game setup. So maybe this would be obvious when actually playing, but what is tangible effect of the different political changes? (For example, Austria and Prussia signing a peace treaty)

I assume these are objects of negotiation, but which side(s) do these things benefit?

Once again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sides, essentially. If you're not fighting a given power, you can fight another and/or save up cards (which can be very useful later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the strengths of Maria is that it offers all three players plenty of tools with which they can affect the balance of power; the annexation of Silesia and France's reduced military objectives are among these tools.

The annexation of Silesia gives Austria a turn of Prussian neutrality and makes Saxony neutral. Prussia gets a permanent VP, a second supply train and Silesia becomes its home territory- all significant advantages. Since Prussia has no one else to attack but Austria, the latter should only accept this treaty if it is truly in dire straits and needs a turn of Prussian neutrality in order to regroup and prevent France from winning.

Reduced military objectives allows France to exit the conflict in core Austria and swing its generals back around to fighting the Pragmatic Army; losing only half of its conquests and keeping the other half permanently. Unlike Prussia, France doesn't have to attack Austria to win; if Prussia and/or the Pragmatic Army are doing very well (and Austria is getting crushed) this can be a very effective tool for France. By declaring reduced military objectives France is essentially playing for the longer game, when its full force will hopefully overwhelm the Prags for the win. Since Austria can still attack Bavaria, France does NOT want to do this unless Austria is truly in bad shape; otherwise Austria will have it too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, hat all makes sense. I know that it's a very fluid game and it was just hard to picture all the moving parts without actually playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:

One of the strengths of Maria is that it offers all three players plenty of tools with which they can affect the balance of power; the annexation of Silesia and France's reduced military objectives are among these tools.

The annexation of Silesia gives Austria a turn of Prussian neutrality and makes Saxony neutral. Prussia gets a permanent VP, a second supply train and Silesia becomes its home territory- all significant advantages. Since Prussia has no one else to attack but Austria, the latter should only accept this treaty if it is truly in dire straits and needs a turn of Prussian neutrality in order to regroup and prevent France from winning.

This isn't true (about only doing it when desperate). Annexation can be a useful tool in larger negotiations (it's generally going to happen anyway), but Austria needs to make sure to get plenty of peace out of it.

verandi wrote:
Reduced military objectives allows France to exit the conflict in core Austria and swing its generals back around to fighting the Pragmatic Army; losing only half of its conquests and keeping the other half permanently. Unlike Prussia, France doesn't have to attack Austria to win; if Prussia and/or the Pragmatic Army are doing very well (and Austria is getting crushed) this can be a very effective tool for France. By declaring reduced military objectives France is essentially playing for the longer game, when its full force will hopefully overwhelm the Prags for the win. Since Austria can still attack Bavaria, France does NOT want to do this unless Austria is truly in bad shape; otherwise Austria will have it too easy.

Also not true (about only doing it when desperate). It can also be used as part of larger negotiations. I agree with everything else you wrote about focusing on the long game, though. Oh, and worth noting that VPs from reducing objectives are not permanent (France might go back for a surprise attack or.if Austria creeps in to snatch up Bavarian forts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.