Subject: Wait for reprint or just skip to SK #2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So this looks to be out of stock everywhere at the moment and the prices for it on eBay and such are a little absurd......

As someone new who's wanting to check out ASL should I wait for a reprint of this to come out, or is SK #2 a good starting point to? I understand there are a couple of infantry only scenarios in it so I can still learn things slowly as I go. For that matter, would just skipping clear to #3 be even better?

On a side note, if I wanted to jump up to full ASL am I correct in understanding that I would need the rule book AND the Beyond Valor Module? Those are like +$150 at CSI right now and the rulebook is OOS...... wow

Are there any other alternative "starting modules" besides Beyond Valor? I don't mind the Eastern Front but part of the supposed charm of ASL is the wide variety of modules available for it in many different theaters. Will any of the modules work as your first one?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With BV you get the info counters like prep fire, First Fire/Final Fire, CC/melee, etc., so you need BV to play full ASL.

SK#2 is not ideal to start. Try to find SK#1. Definitely do not skip to SK#3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd go for SK3 for the tanks (as well as guns). All 3 SKs are self contained and you can go slow with any of them. And hey man ya gotta have tanks!
But yeah, keep looking for SK1. you'll find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bunch of ASL SK#1 for sale by BGG user. go to the 'marketplace' tab under ASLSK1. there's one there for $20

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9823/advanced-squad-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think SK2 has 2 (of 6) all infantry scenarios so it wouldn't be that bad of a choice.

If you're truly desperate for SK1, there's a shop up in Montreal that has it in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ybarrondo
United States
Corona
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP is out of stock, but it looks like not everywhere is. I sent you a PM with listings from two reliable online retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS Wargaming store, www.nws-online.net

SK1 $17.49
SK2 $22.99
SK3 $26.59

In stock. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys. I ordered from NWS Wargaming, clearly there are better places to order ASL from than my usual sources for typical hobby games .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS is fantastic. Great customer service, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
On a side note, if I wanted to jump up to full ASL am I correct in understanding that I would need the rule book AND the Beyond Valor Module? Those are like +$150 at CSI right now and the rulebook is OOS...... wow

Are there any other alternative "starting modules" besides Beyond Valor? I don't mind the Eastern Front but part of the supposed charm of ASL is the wide variety of modules available for it in many different theaters. Will any of the modules work as your first one?

To answer this question: not any more. Once upon a time there was the Paratrooper module which was designed as an "introductory" set for ASL; but ASLSK essentially made it obsolete. You could probably find a second-hand copy without too much difficulty but I don't think it would be really worth it -- especially as it requires boards that it doesn't provide! (Once upon a time TAHGC assumed that anyone who wanted to play ASL already owned a copy of SL -- and if you didn't, they were happy to sell it to you!)

ASL module dependencies are extremely complicated but in very general terms the modules tend to assume that you already have the modules that proceeded it. BV, being module #1, is the baseline that everything else builds on -- and in the current 3rd edition, it actually contains everything you need to play every scenario in that box. After BV you could buy any module that takes your fancy, but the odds are that you will be missing something, preventing you from playing every scenario ....

There are ways and means around many of these limitations, but the bottom line is, the only way to guarantee that you can play everything is to buy everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my ASL SK1 coming tomorrow and I plan to play around with it soon.

I know about Vassal but is there an online resource that tries to match local players? I've come up empty there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:
I have my ASL SK1 coming tomorrow and I plan to play around with it soon.

I know about Vassal but is there an online resource that tries to match local players? I've come up empty there.

If you're on Facebook I recommend you check with the ASL Facebook Group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/advancedsquadleader/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joined! Once I get my feet wet and mostly figure out the rules I'll poke my head out and see if there's someone near me who wants to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me a GM if you ever want to play via vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.