Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I guess these Tiny Epic games are popular. I've never given them much attention previously but save me hours of research.. Which is the best of the bunch and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried two of them. Wasn't overly impressed with either. They were Harbour (which is actually Tiny Epic Le Havre) and Tiny epic Galaxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies was the best up til it came out. I'm not sure on Tiny Epic Western.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of them, so take this with a tiny epic grain of salt, but I have looked into Western quite a bit and it looks like lots of fun and more involved compared to the others. I like that it uses a poker like mechanism, a bit of player blocking/worker placement and individual character powers. Plus, the "board" which is made from cards and smaller pieces forms a wagon wheel shape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Carnehl
United States
Fox Point
WI
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies is one of my all time favorite games. It plays so smooth. The dice play makes it exciting but there's tons of great decision making involved. I play it mostly solo but enjoy it multiplayer as well.

I also play Tiny Epic Defenders solo. I like it a lot but it's not amazing.

I'm anxious to try the others.

I didn't like Harbor nor would I include that in a list of "Tiny Epics".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're nice little games if you're into lighter versions of established genres.

Defenders - Onslaught defense with variable player powers. Maybe like a really small Defenders of the Realm. Co-op.

Kingdoms - Haven't played it, but it looks to be area control and basic 4X gameplay.

Galaxies - Dice game with dice used for action selection, resource gathering, etc. Tableau-building victory-point race. I like to call it Roll Through the Ages: The Space Age. No variable player powers, but I think the expansion is going to add some of that.

Harbour - No, it's not part of Gamelyn's "Tiny Epic" series, but it's by Scott Almes, and very much feels like Tiny Epic Le Havre, so it's at least worth mentioning in the same context. Uses an interesting market mechanic where the value of goods can change from turn to turn based on a simple emulation of supply and demand. Features variable player powers, like most of these games (plus standard play mats on the reverse if you want everybody to have a level playing field).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclosure: I have both Galaxies and Kingdoms. I also have the Kingdoms expansion, and I have a KS pledge for the Galaxies expansion. Also, I am eagerly awaiting my KS copy of Western. I do not own, nor am I interested in the tower defense game.

I think the price point on these games is fantastic. I enjoy these games because they are easy to take to the bar/pub and play at the table with a few rounds of drinks. I feel like these games are interesting enough to feel rewarding in these quick play situations. I rarely bring these games out if there is a gaming session at someone's house or a con. Having said this, they are great for a quick game with strategy, and the ease at which they can be transported adds to the appeal for me. I do think that Western might end up being the heftiest of the series in terms of game weight.

I like Galaxies the best so far, but I think Western has the potential to be my new favorite in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are fun light games at an attractive price point in a small box.

You're not missing much having not played any.

I have Tiny Epic Galaxies and have enjoyed it with 3 players, but solo it's pretty dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Tiny Epic Galaxies is great while Tiny Epic Defender is meh (but maybe, it's just me disliking tower defense game because I also find Castle Panic as meh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Tiny Epic Galaxies was the best up til it came out.

I don't understand this. Galaxies was the best game until it was released? Then it wasn't anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.