8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Hello there!

I wanted to get suggestions for board games that I could buy.

I'm interested in thematic games (just not Medieval-themed games), in which you have plenty of possible actions to get to your goal. I also like games where you get new abilities in order to be better than the others. Although the last lines may sound like one, I'm not really interested in RPGs.

I prefer competitive games over cooperative, and I love games with boards, figures, and tokens. I like complex games, but not too complex to make people loose interest in them. I want a game with a good replayability value.

This might be important: I'm a 18-year-old guy, and I'm into biology, strategy games and 4X games. I'm also a guy which spends a lot time alone, so a game with a good solo variant would be great, though this is not a decisive factor.

Thank you for reading. I know it might not be possible to get all of these things in one game, but at least two or three of them would be good. I hope not to sound very exigent.

Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution: Climate

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

The Princes of Machu Picchu

Tin Goose

Antike II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Eldard wrote:

I'll keep those on mind. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that you're into biology maybe you should check out Bios: Genesis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers Great Worker Placement that is not Medieval. You take advantage of your dice(which are space ships) to receive certain powers and goods over your opponents. Nice tidy game that plays especially good once you add in the expansion.

Cosmic Encounter Special Powers and Unique Victory Conditions. Again, going to space theme since you want to avoid Medieval.

Neither of these games are really solo-able but for a great solitaire game I recommend one of the following:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island This one is a PHENOMENAL cooperative game of medium weight. It can be played solo, and has several modules to keep gameplay interesting. I have yet to beat it, as this game is notoriously abusive to its players. Great theme and many additional modules can be found here on the geek.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game Good theme, great artwork. You can ramp up the difficulty by adding extra plot twists and it might even feel more thematic as a deckbuilder when you yourself control the whole team.

Elder Sign A different theme set in HP Lovecraft's mythos. Easy solitaire, semi-cooperative game where you work together to stop the world from being taken over by the Elder God's. Can be played Solitaire. Dice-reliant, but a solid game nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

I wanted to put this on the list, but he specifically mentioned no to Medieval Themes. Lords of Waterdeep is definitely a medieval/fantasy themed game as it is set in the Forgotten Realms campaign of Dungeons and Dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Drugo81 wrote:
Considering that you're into biology maybe you should check out Bios: Genesis!

I just checked it out, and it looks amazing! I have preordered mine already blush It sounds like a perfect game for me. Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.