9 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: New hobby gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Findley
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've heard quite a bit about this game and am really intrigued. My wife and I are new to the hobby board game realm and so far have not gotten into war games. We like deep strategy and this sounds like it may be a good option. Does anyone have suggestions of a good video that might show gameplay ThT gives a good overview of what the game is like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched Board Games with Jason to learn how to play. So I'd recommend tbat one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teamfindleyrm wrote:
I've heard quite a bit about this game and am really intrigued. My wife and I are new to the hobby board game realm and so far have not gotten into war games. We like deep strategy and this sounds like it may be a good option. Does anyone have suggestions of a good video that might show gameplay ThT gives a good overview of what the game is like?

The app isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than the game by a longshot and enforces the rules. I would start there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
teamfindleyrm wrote:

The app isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than the game by a longshot and enforces the rules. I would start there.

The app is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to read or watch strategy articles/videos, make sure you are both doing so. This game greatly rewards knowledge of the cards and of useful combos. If you are both equally ignorant, the games will have surprises but should be fun. If one of you has significantly more knowledge, the fun level may go dow for the other player.

In other words, explore it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Avery
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Also, the website Twilight Strategy has detailed breakdowns of all cards but also overviews of the game that are helpful. You might start with the overview that asks whether you'd like the game and offers a set of criteria. In other words, don't be intimidated by the details. The general overviews on the site are useful for overall orientation to the major concepts. Check the tabs on the right side of the main page for those introductory articles. That gives you a taste of what you're in for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Miszke
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TS is not a wargame. It's luck based strategy/bluffing game. Honestly, no matter what, but without a bit of luck it can be frustrating journey. Bear in mind that this is Twilight Struggle, Cold War, so everything can happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
kalo90 wrote:
TS is not a wargame. It's luck based strategy/bluffing game. Honestly, no matter what, but without a bit of luck it can be frustrating journey. Bear in mind that this is Twilight Struggle, Cold War, so everything can happen...

Having just learned this game the past 6 months...

Though there is a considerable amount of luck (both dice and cards are used) a seasoned player will totally demolish a new player no matter how lucky they are. I'd go so far as to say that "bad luck" and "good luck" are only relevant against players who at least have a good understanding of the game and it's tempo. At the higher levels there are many plays to try to mitigate that luck. That's part of Twilight's allure in my opinion.

Learning the game together is a great way to get your feet wet. being demolished over and over by a seasoned player (that's been my main method of learning) takes patience, but it is the shortest route to getting better. Especially if the seasoned player will help you and comment on your game.

I'd say that the learning curve for the mechanics of the game is not too steep. But familiarizing yourself with how the game flows takes a lot of time. Early War, Mid War, Late War all have a pretty standard set of objectives that simply take many repeated plays to familiarize yourself with. No videos or articles can really impress this upon you fully until you have a number of games under you belt. Then the articles start to make sense as you can place them in context.

I'd call it a war game. And BGG has it atop the war game list, but I guess people can define it any way they want. Whatever it is, it's my favorite game. And that's says a lot considering how many games I love and play.

Also worth noting, is you should check out "13 Days: The Cuban Missle Crisis." It's very similar to Twilight Struggle. In fact it was that game that actually made me pick up Twilight Struggle. It's a much smaller scale and much shorter, but a lot of fun.

Go get Twilight Struggle. There's a reason it's popularity has been so strong all these years. As a gamer even interested in Twilight Stuggle you owe it to yourself to see what all the fuss is about.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teamfindleyrm wrote:

If it's just going to be the 2 of you, and you think you'll play it often, I recommend that you learn the rules, but don't read the strategy guides, as there will be a lot of fun learning and exploring on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.