Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on these questions:

Why does each player get a 1-slot ship placed somewhere in the canal during setup? What's the point of that ship? Just so the player has something to move?

On page 7, there is a note pointing to a rail symbol that says "This symbol shows that this die can be loaded on the Rail table 1st wagon OR on a ship." But farther down on the page, it says "If a container has a Rail icon on it, the die MUST be loaded onto the 1st wagon of the Rail table. Which is correct?

When a player fills the first column with 4 different flag tokens or places a passenger token on the double headed arrow space, the rulebook says that "any die may be transferred from one side of the action table to the other for free." I presume this ability is limited to one die per turn, correct?

If the player receives the above benefit by receiving 4 different flag tokens in the first column, is there any point to the passenger token benefit space that seemingly provides the same benefit?

What exactly is the difference between the dice pool and the warehouse?

Does anyone know if there is a searchable copy of the rulebook available online anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

Why does each player get a 1-slot ship placed somewhere in the canal during setup? What's the point of that ship? Just so the player has something to move?

Compensation for going later in turn order.

Quote:

On page 7, there is a note pointing to a rail symbol that says "This symbol shows that this die can be loaded on the Rail table 1st wagon OR on a ship." But farther down on the page, it says "If a container has a Rail icon on it, the die MUST be loaded onto the 1st wagon of the Rail table. Which is correct?

That is a dual symbol. It has both a rail and a ship icon.

Quote:

When a player fills the first column with 4 different flag tokens or places a passenger token on the double headed arrow space, the rulebook says that "any die may be transferred from one side of the action table to the other for free." I presume this ability is limited to one die per turn, correct?

If the player receives the above benefit by receiving 4 different flag tokens in the first column, is there any point to the passenger token benefit space that seemingly provides the same benefit?

You can do it as many times as you can afford it. Just follow the transfer rules on page 6. The price drops to $2 or zero. Yes they're duplicative.

Quote:

You pay maintenance on the warehouse dice (unused for the round). At the end of the round you move the dice pool ones (returned cargo and passengers) to the warehouse.

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a searchable copy of the rulebook available online anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
schnel wrote:

Shmello50 wrote:
Compensation for going later in turn order.

How so? Meaning a player later in turn order is closer to moving his 1-slot Ship (with no containers on it!) to the end of the canal, at which point he can collect a Captain Card or $2? And, at that point, he may wish that ship was in the waiting zone on the opposite side of the board, no?

schnel wrote:

Shmello50 wrote:
You can do it as many times as you can afford it. Just follow the transfer rules on page 6. The price drops to $2 or zero.

But still limited to 1 die per turn, right? I mean, the rules do say that when you move a die to the opposite side of the action table, you have to use it immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the starting 1-slot ships have a container value 3 on them to start the game.

Yes, when you move a die from one side of the action table to the other it is just 1 die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

As mentioned each players gets this with a die set to 3 as a starting setup.

schnel wrote:

Some cards/effects have a dual icon with the load icon/rail icon, these can be loaded either on a ship or on the rail.

On some of the contract cards where there are multiple containers some of those containers have a rail icon, the die that represents that container has to be placed on the rail.

schnel wrote:

Normally transferring a die from move <-> load will cost the company $5 these bonuses lower that cost to either $2 or $0 it depends which strategy you are going for.

schnel wrote:

see above.

schnel wrote:

Dice in the warehouse cost $4 at the end of the turn, dice in the pool cost $0, at the end of the turn after paying storage fees any dice in the pool are moved into the warehouse.

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Deathstroke wrote:
All of the starting 1-slot ships have a container value 3 on them to start the game.

Indeed they do! I somehow totally missed that or maybe forgot it. I must say, this was one of the longest setups I can remember reading in a rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
schnel wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Indeed they do! I somehow totally missed that or maybe forgot it. I must say, this was one of the longest setups I can remember reading in a rule book.

The setup rules for this game are rather poorly written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
peltazoid wrote:
schnel wrote:

Dice in the warehouse cost $4 at the end of the turn, dice in the pool cost $0, at the end of the turn after paying storage fees any dice in the pool are moved into the warehouse.

I guess I didn't originally phrase this question properly. I understood from the rules that there was a cost that had to be paid if dice remained in your warehouse. In retrospect now, I guess that's there to pressure you to continually take contract cards and load cargo when you might otherwise only want to move ships.

My original question was meant to be more along the lines of "What's the rhyme or reason behind the Dice Pool and the Warehouse?" Because after my first pass of the rules, I recalled that sometimes you were taking dice from one location and other times from the other, and I didn't quite get the logic behind it all. For example, during setup, you put some dice in the dice pool and some in the warehouse. When taking the free load action, the rules say you can take the dice from either location. But when doing a regular load, you take the dice from the warehouse, but then resort to the dice pool if the warehouse is emptied. At the end of the round, you empty the dice pool.

So anyway, by the time I got to the end of the rules and tried to digest it all, my brain had trouble remembering which was which and when you take from one place vs. the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mb
schnel wrote:
peltazoid wrote:
schnel wrote:

I guess I didn't originally phrase this question properly. I understood from the rules that there was a cost that had to be paid if dice remained in your warehouse. In retrospect now, I guess that's there to pressure you to continually take contract cards and load cargo when you might otherwise only want to move ships.

My original question was meant to be more along the lines of "What's the rhyme or reason behind the Dice Pool and the Warehouse?" Because after my first pass of the rules, I recalled that sometimes you were taking dice from one location and other times from the other, and I didn't quite get the logic behind it all. For example, during setup, you put some dice in the dice pool and some in the warehouse. When taking the free load action, the rules say you can take the dice from either location. But when doing a regular load, you take the dice from the warehouse, but then resort to the dice pool if the warehouse is emptied. At the end of the round, you empty the dice pool.

So anyway, by the time I got to the end of the rules and tried to digest it all, my brain had trouble remembering which was which and when you take from one place vs. the other.

You're not alone. The rulebook for Panamax is written fairly poorly and doesn't make things as clear as they could be.

With the Dice Pool and Warehouse, you have it exactly right. Dice (cargo) will start the round in the Warehouse but since all the dice will incur a high maintenance fee of $5 at the end of the round, it's fairly important to get those dice out of there by the end of the round. Once cargo gets delivered, those dice will get deposited into the Dice Pool where they *can* be used again if your Warehouse is empty. However, since dice in the Dice Pool have no maintenance fee at the end of a round, there's incentive to keep them there. And of course if you have no dice in either the Warehouse or Dice Pool then you can't take a Cargo card and load dice on it.

You will ALWAYS take dice from the Warehouse first and then if the Warehouse is empty you can take dice from the Dice Pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.