BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Single Player board/Card Games? Do people like these? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey all,

One thing I always find annoying is trying to find single player board or card games. Most games I have pretty much require 2 players min (I'm not always with someone else who can play when I feel like playing), OR games that can be played single player are just you controlling multiple characters (or players) so it's not really single player specific?

I know they are out there but I don't know of them...

I ended up designing my own game because of it (single player survival sandbox Card game), and am currently working on my second (RPG). Both Single Player Based.

Do many people ever just want to sit down and play a card/board game on their own? I know people play solitaire but I mean gritty games that are more in depth?

I've just launched my game on kickstarter (I'm not going to mention it as I don't want this to be a spam post - as that is not my intent)...

I really just want to know peoples thoughts on single player only games as I am forever wanting to play them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a whole guild full of people like you, that like playing solo games.
And if you want something really gritty for 1 person, the undisputed nr 1 game to pick up is Mage Knight Board Game.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
I've been looking into solitaire gaming too, but I'm put off by games that require any setup beyond shuffling a deck of cards and dealing them out. Even Legendary Encounters' setup and teardown is longer than I can be bothered doing alone, and to be honest it's not really that lengthy.

But as Olaf said, there's definitely an audience for a meaty solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
May I suggest Run, Fight, or Die! has a good solo game play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xanthe
United States
Hancock
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you search some of the solo game geeklists and the 1 player guild. That being said...
My fav solo games are
Friday
Hostage Negotiator
Austerity
Valley of the Kings and Afterlife Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 1 Player Guild is currently the second largest guild on BGG, so yes. There are quite a few people who like to sit down and play solitaire games, and if you head on over to 1PG you can get tons of recommendations for solo play.

1 Player guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
And the 2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is just finishing up voting for this year, so there are 46 more delightful solo games to print-and-play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Slaven
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Friday and Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp, I own both and play both often

Do you have a pnp of your survival card game? I'd be happy to provide feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
And the 2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is just finishing up voting for this year, so there are 46 more delightful solo games to print-and-play!

And some of them might even get a proper release like Deep Space D-6 did - I really like the custom engraved dice in the Kickstarter copy of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are hundreds solo games. And there are very comprehensive lists of them here on bgg. Always alone... the definitive list of single player games. is a very good list.

My personal favourites i.e. games that play BETTER solo or exclusively solo are
Mage Knight Board Game
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Galaxy Defenders
Sylvion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
istephendj wrote:
One thing I always find annoying is trying to find single player board or card games. Most games I have pretty much require 2 players min (I'm not always with someone else who can play when I feel like playing), OR games that can be played single player are just you controlling multiple characters (or players) so it's not really single player specific?

I often feel this way too. My suggestion is to subscribe to Solitaire Games on Your Table: September 2016 and the other monthly solo play geek lists. People post plays of the games they have been playing solo that month, how it plays, what they liked/disliked, etc. I've found this to be a very valuable resource.

istephendj wrote:
Do many people ever just want to sit down and play a card/board game on their own? I know people play solitaire but I mean gritty games that are more in depth?

Yep! All the time. I sometimes find that I cannot find anyone free to game so I ended up focusing a part of my game collection to accommodate solo gaming. Here's what I have that doesn't require multiple characters to play:

51st State: Master Set (has a solo AI)
Agent Decker
The Ancient World using the solo variant Ancient World Simple Browser Solo AI
Artifacts, Inc. using the solo variant Cube-drawing solo variant
Ascension: Storm of Souls
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon
At the Gates of Loyang
Champions of Midgard using the solo variant Champions of Midgard -- Solo Variant -- Version 1.0
Dale of Merchants using the solo variant Solo variant
Deep Space D-6
Dungeon Dice using the solo rules from their website (http://potluckgames.com/pages/downloads)
Dungeon Roll
Elder Sign (I've played this with only 1 character before though I cannot remember if it is winnable that way)
Fantastiqa using the solo variant The Variant Review's "Uriel's Robe" Fantastiqa Solo Player Variant
Forge War
Friday
Helionox: The Last Sunset
Lagoon: Land of Druids using the solo AI
Mage Knight Board Game
Hostage Negotiator
Onirim (second edition)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set (I've played this with 1 character before but I haven't gotten through all of the campaigns so I'm not sure if it's possible to beat with only one)
Pleasant Dreams
Tiny Epic Galaxies (the expansion is on KS right now)
Tiny Epic Kingdoms with the Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call Deluxe Edition expansion that contains a solo AI
Valeria: Card Kingdoms using the solo AI
Viticulture Essential Edition

Without knowing your personal preferences, I'll let you determine which of these is the right weight, theme, etc.

Note that there are a few with links to posts or files here on BGG. Those games do not come with solo rules. However, one of the great things about the forum is that there are people on here that create solo variants. For some games, they have posted files or threads containing recommended solo rules that you can try. I recommend checking for solo rules for any games you already have and trying them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres also quite a number of PNP solos. About one contest each year is held on BGG to make PNP solos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.