$35.00
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the title is pretty self explanatory, but I was running through the different move types, and was confused why there seems to be a discrepancy in the placement of certain "rules". The most obvious of these is the "Non Attacking Move Character" and "Encounter/Factory" cards.

For the Character move, the qualifier "No Automa Mech" is under step 2, before "pick up the character". For the Encounter/Factory move, the same qualifier is under step 4, AFTER "pick up the character".

The only situation I can imagine where the difference in the placement of these two words would be if you started a turn with both the character and a mech on the same hex, but I can't think of any situation where that would be possible, since all of the plastic pieces' movements have restrictions to not go to hexes that already have combat units.

I assume I am missing some subtle edge case, but at the moment I'm really confused why the rule of "no Automa mech in the hex you're moving to" qualification is in different places on these two cards. What situation haven't I considered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
I think the title is pretty self explanatory, but I was running through the different move types, and was confused why there seems to be a discrepancy in the placement of certain "rules". The most obvious of these is the "Non Attacking Move Character" and "Encounter/Factory" cards.

For the Character move, the qualifier "No Automa Mech" is under step 2, before "pick up the character". For the Encounter/Factory move, the same qualifier is under step 4, AFTER "pick up the character".

The only situation I can imagine where the difference in the placement of these two words would be if you started a turn with both the character and a mech on the same hex, but I can't think of any situation where that would be possible, since all of the plastic pieces' movements have restrictions to not go to hexes that already have combat units.

I assume I am missing some subtle edge case, but at the moment I'm really confused why the rule of "no Automa mech in the hex you're moving to" qualification is in different places on these two cards. What situation haven't I considered?

There's no subtle mechanic difference here. The reason for the difference in the steps is that in the rulebook, the Encounter/Factory Valid Hexes step has a slightlyy complex wording of two extra rules including an if-then construct than the same step for Non-attacking Move.

Therefore I felt, that the Encounter/Factory Valid Hexes step would have become too complex if the "no enemy unit" and "no Automa mech" were also there and so they were moved to the Choose Destination step.

That might very well have been a bad decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koen diels
Belgium
flag msg tools
So if I'm understanding it correctly, the "no enemy unit" and "no automa mech" are also required for the hex to be valid?

I'm stuck on this at the moment. The automa character is on a hex adjacent to the factory. This makes the factory a valid hex for the "encounter/factory" move. But my character is on the factory, so it's not a valid destination. It's confusing that there is a difference between valid hex and valid destination. According to what you're saying, the factory would not be a valid hex, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
koendiels wrote:
So if I'm understanding it correctly, the "no enemy unit" and "no automa mech" are also required for the hex to be valid?

I'm assuming we're talking about the Encounter/Factory action here.

Technically that condition is not part of the definition of valid hexes for this action, but you can play it that way and then ignore that restrition in the "choose destination" step.

The result of this will be the same as following the procedure from the rulebook.

koendiels wrote:
I'm stuck on this at the moment. The automa character is on a hex adjacent to the factory. This makes the factory a valid hex for the "encounter/factory" move. But my character is on the factory, so it's not a valid destination. It's confusing that there is a difference between valid hex and valid destination. According to what you're saying, the factory would not be a valid hex, correct?

By the definition of the rulebook the factory is a valid hex, but it would not get chosen in the "choose destination" step. I agree that this is confusing and I was wrong in writing the rules that way. Sorry.

As mentioned above you can play the way you suggest and the result will be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koen diels
Belgium
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks for the answer. I agree that doing it this way will have the same result as following the procedure in the rulebook.
However, it does matter whether this is considered a valid move or not.
If it is, than that is the end of the automa action. If it isn't I have to take the next action on the automa card (if there is one)?

I couldn't find explicitly in the rulebook what exactly is considered a "valid" move. I assume it means that the character is available and that there is a valid hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
koendiels wrote:
Ok, thanks for the answer. I agree that doing it this way will have the same result as following the procedure in the rulebook.
However, it does matter whether this is considered a valid move or not.
If it is, than that is the end of the automa action. If it isn't I have to take the next action on the automa card (if there is one)?

I couldn't find explicitly in the rulebook what exactly is considered a "valid" move. I assume it means that the character is available and that there is a valid hex.

A valid move is a move, where a destination hex is actually chosen and yes if no valid move is performed, then you go on to the next action on the card.

The two approaches we're discussing will also give the same result in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.