Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little computer illiterate. I have tried to down load games- some successfully. However, when I tried to down load 1830 and even st.petersburg - they don't work . With 1830, i downloaded dosbox as well and ran it. It's on my desktop. now the winzip window is open. Do i pick autoexe.bat and open it? And with what? I tried opening it with dosbox but nothing happens. Please help me understand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
right click on the zipped file

select from the menu "extract all"

Then use the files in the uncompressed folder to play the game

just clicking on a zipped file will show you the contents of the compressed archive but they may not be executable as they are still compressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dosbox is difficult to work for those of us who are not very handy with computers. You have to modify the config file as well, and set up some additional directories with the games.

Follow the tutorial from this link:

http://abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs

I initially tried to use the tutorial but modified so my game files would be easier to find. I failed. So I recommend following the tutorial exactly (if you are like me, that is, not too bright with computers).

Edit: And what Mark said is true. You'll have to unpack all the zip files before anything else. Do that first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
For dosbox especially for people who have never used dos before, get a graphical interface for it. There are some for download on the dosbox site.

I personally like this one the best http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/
but you can search and find ones you like better.

To use the normal dosbox you needs lots of experience, using an interface makes it make easier and simple and more like what sort of programs you would be used to.

To use it you install it. then you have to point it to where your dosbox is installed. After that you can add games make sure you have them unzipped into a folder. You then create a profile and point it to the startup file, for some dos games its hard to tell which one that is, but if you choose the wrong file simply edit the profile and change which file you load.

It is simple

So good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.