Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final Showdown Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read the instructions and the rules for the Final Showdown seem pretty straightforward. I have a related question. Does the game allow for playing for victory points without the Final Showdown, or is an overall winner always determined with the Final Showdown included. In other words is playing for VP itself optional or is adding in the Final Showdown optional? I suppose any of the three could be played as a group sees fit?

1 - Ignore VP and play co-op only
2 - Play for VP to get overall winner without Final Showdown
3 - Play for VP to get overall winner including Final Showdown

Thanks,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnraggio wrote:
I read the instructions and the rules for the Final Showdown seem pretty straightforward. I have a related question. Does the game allow for playing for victory points without the Final Showdown, or is an overall winner always determined with the Final Showdown included. In other words is playing for VP itself optional or is adding in the Final Showdown optional? I suppose any of the three could be played as a group sees fit?

Thanks,
John

"According to Hoyle" it's just the last two. The heading for Final Showdown has it listed as "Optional."

Note that this is bolded in the rules: "If the group agrees before the game, you can also play without the Final Showdown." This suggests that No. 3 is the default, and No. 2, by the rules, requires everyone to agree before the game. However, I've often ignored this wrinkle, especially with the first time playing the game and explaining the rules.

Note, however, that on page 18 of the base set rules it states:

Upper Deck wrote:
Cooperative and Competitive Play

Legendary is both cooperative (with players cooperating to beat the Mastermind) and competitive (with players competing to get the most Victory Points). Some play groups like to focus on cooperating. Other groups focus on competing. And some groups do a little of both. Some players even start out competing, and then switch to cooperating more and more as the Mastermind gets closer to victory. This matches a lot of Marvel storylines!

As with most games, I suggest the "Rule of Fun" is king. With some playthroughs, and in fact with most groups I've played with, the VPs take a back seat to scraping out a win in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my girlfriend always count Victory points, even when we lose. it's informative to know who is the least responsible for the loss after all (obviously, the one with more VP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the replies, folks.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:

Thanks,
John

Just to weigh in here. Officially all 3 of these options are accepted and are players' choice

I personally prefer option 4:
Play for VP to get overall winner including Final Blow
This is a rule that was introduced in Dark City (a must have expansion if you don't already have it) where you carry on playing until someone defeats the mastermind a fifth time in the normal way, thus avoiding someone losing out on Final Showdown due to an unlucky draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
I suppose any of the three could be played as a group sees fit?

My friends originally tried to play options 2 and 3, but found that we often lost the game because players were maximizing their VP gains instead of performing more important tasks. So, we switched to game type 1 and found it to be a much more enjoyable experience.

One can also play that you need to defeat the mastermind a 5th time to win, when playing fully co-operative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gadgetgav wrote:
Officially all 3 of these options are accepted and are players' choice.

I couldn't find that reference in the rulebook. Is this a ruling from outside the base set rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
My friends originally tried to play options 2 and 3, but found that we often lost the game because players were maximizing their VP gains instead of performing more important tasks.

To me, that's a really important part of the game -- being able to try to figure out if there's time to get more VPs if you are currently behind the other players. You do get better at it with practice, though, so maybe you didn't try it enough times?

Of course, if that kind of estimating isn't fun for your group, then by all means, ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
To me, that's a really important part of the game -- being able to try to figure out if there's time to get more VPs if you are currently behind the other players. You do get better at it with practice, though, so maybe you didn't try it enough times?

Of course, if that kind of estimating isn't fun for your group, then by all means, ignore it.

Yeah, that doesn't sound interesting to me. We like playing it cooperatively and winning together. That and it relies on experienced players all the time. Newer players can't make that distinction and just focus on gaining the maximum VP every turn, at the expense of anyone winning at all, in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.