Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unique items required for the quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Saraiva
msg tools
mbmb
How our these handled?

1. The person who has the item (say the item that has a password on it to get in somewhere) has to be the one to use it

2. As long as the character who got the item is in the room it's ok?

or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right Character, Right Place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two main ways these will be used:

1: They can be interacted with via the app (e.g., a book). Only the investigator with the item can take such actions.

2: They are the key to a door. You will note that when you click on the appropriate door, it will say that only an Investigator with the item can take the action to open that door.

In both cases, the rules or app refer to an Investigator with the item. Thus, being in the same room doesn't matter. Other Investigators would need to trade to get access to the item themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:
There are two main ways these will be used:

1: They can be interacted with via the app (e.g., a book). Only the investigator with the item can take such actions.

2: They are the key to a door. You will note that when you click on the appropriate door, it will say that only an Investigator with the item can take the action to open that door.

In both cases, the rules or app refer to an Investigator with the item. Thus, being in the same room doesn't matter. Other Investigators would need to trade to get access to the item themselves.

There is a third version. There are events that can only occur if the group has satisfied criteria. "X evidence found", "room Y revealed, etc." These are based on game state, and don't require any particular investigator to be the one to act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Saraiva
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the info everyone. How do we determine the difference between the two scenarios (Does the app use specific wording for each?).

Some would be obvious, but wondering if there are any confusing cases.

Thanks!
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording's usually something like "An investigator holding the <whatever> Unique Item may use it by interacting with it in the app," or "You can explore only if you have the <whatever> Unique Item."

The one unusual case is in Shattered Bonds, where...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...you need a certain number of Grotesque Stone items to use them. There, when you click on the Grotesque Stone item in the inventory, it'll say how many you need, and a single investigator needs to be holding that many in order to spend an action to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for using the Spoiler Tag above. N N N

I've noticed a large number of folks on this board are using this tag and I just want to say THANK YOU for being considerate to those of us who haven't made it as far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb

Something came up yesterday in our game.

If a character has unique items and needs to drop some of them for some reason (because of a broken arm for example) and one of the item is needed to complete the game.

Since unique items go back into the unique items deck if they are dropped and/but you needed that particular item to complete the game.... what happens then?

The app/game does not know that you do not have the item anymore.

Do you have to simply abandon the game because you will never be able to do whatever needed to be done with said item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropped items go to the space you're in and can be picked up with a future trade action. Discarded items go back into the deck. I'm pretty sure the app will never tell you to discard a unique item unless you no longer need it to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Dropped items go to the space you're in and can be picked up with a future trade action. Discarded items go back into the deck. I'm pretty sure the app will never tell you to discard a unique item unless you no longer need it to win.

I do not have the "Broken Arm" card in front of me, but I think it said discard....

From the rules (p.8)

Discard
When a Common Item, Unique Item, Spell, or Condition is discarded, it is returned to its respective deck.

That got us confused. But it might have said drop. I will have to recheck the card. But thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instruction on Broken Arm is to "Drop all but 2 of your items."

They would never create an instruction that would force you to discard a Unique Item you could still need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally makes sense. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.