Subject: World Map and Lore questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Mcgee
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Just a few questions I have for Mauro:

1. The lore book on the kicktstarter page states "Survivors began forming settlements, trying to fend off the demons in these infested lands,
endeavouring to rebuild a society for themselves, but large Cities never lasted long as they were the most
likely to attract the unwanted attention of demons, so once a settlement reached a certain size, half the
population guided by fear, begin a journey seeking a secluded sanctuary elsewhere to start anew." If this is true, why are large cities and even larger capitols shown on the world map?
2. The three sizes of settlement listed in the advanced rules are Hamlet, Village, and Town. Does this mean we won't be able to visit the cities and capitals of Intermundis, if they exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sherk33 wrote:
Just a few questions I have for Mauro:

1. The lore book on the kicktstarter page states "Survivors began forming settlements, trying to fend off the demons in these infested lands,
endeavouring to rebuild a society for themselves, but large Cities never lasted long as they were the most
likely to attract the unwanted attention of demons, so once a settlement reached a certain size, half the
population guided by fear, begin a journey seeking a secluded sanctuary elsewhere to start anew." If this is true, why are large cities and even larger capitols shown on the world map?
2. The three sizes of settlement listed in the advanced rules are Hamlet, Village, and Town. Does this mean we won't be able to visit the cities and capitals of Intermundis, if they exist?

Hello! Those are very good points, so here are some of the answers (part of the lack of answers is the mystery I want to keep hidden and for players to come up with an answer themselves).

1.That is a map of how Intermundis was during the first years of the Soul Plague, you can see this from the fact that it is called "Lucernian Empire" which is an outdated term not many use anymore since "Old Empire" is what is more commonly know at this point. That said, it is very likely most of the cities and capitals still stand at least as ruins, with newer towns built either within the ruins or nearby. This will be entirely up to the players after all the map is provided with the purpose of giving the freedom to create. Of course there are hundreds of unlisted small hamlets and villages, but they are not on the map because they would either end up making it too busy or just being destroyed/rebuilt constantly.

2.So the map is only there to provide a guide for people who wish to build custom campaigns and stories (these are the Roleplaying rules). While if you play with the Advanced Rules, you will not have a Dungeon Master so the map will remain unused, and you will just keep record of settlements you visited instead.
My advice is that if you wish to play with the map, play long enough with the Advanced Rules and start assigning settlements you have discovered to the locations of the map, so for instance during our last playtest on Saturday we have discovered a hamlet called "Water Coast", which if I'd have to place that on a map, I'd place it somewhere near the sea. Grimland is the perfect place to start because you can draw the map on a piece of paper as you go along and use the towns on the cities with provided as references points (ruins). Keep in mind regions like Grimland are the size of Great Britain so there is a lot to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian m
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I also wondered at the "inconsistencies" with the lore that talked about cities being destroyed. When I saw the map, I just chalked it up to Mauro having written the lore so long ago...

Another thing I thought was weird: The Courtesan. I mean, with the all-but-destruction of society, who cares if she is/was a courtesan. Wouldn't that mean less than nothing in the current world? Might not it be better for her just to forget all that and move on. If she were trying to claim superior birth to people, wouldn't they just not believe her at best, and hate, revile, and maybe try to hurt her at worst, even if she had any proof? (one other thing: I thought all Accursed had returned to life. Assumed her clothes would be a bit more shabby/cobbled together from various expensive-ish stuff. Dunno, just my opinion.)

Anyways, glad to see the "errors" were by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
zeromaker wrote:
I also wondered at the "inconsistencies" with the lore that talked about cities being destroyed. When I saw the map, I just chalked it up to Mauro having written the lore so long ago...

Another thing I thought was weird: The Courtesan. I mean, with the all-but-destruction of society, who cares if she is/was a courtesan. Wouldn't that mean less than nothing in the current world? Might not it be better for her just to forget all that and move on. If she were trying to claim superior birth to people, wouldn't they just not believe her at best, and hate, revile, and maybe try to hurt her at worst, even if she had any proof? (one other thing: I thought all Accursed had returned to life. Assumed her clothes would be a bit more shabby/cobbled together from various expensive-ish stuff. Dunno, just my opinion.)

Anyways, glad to see the "errors" were by design.

Believe me when I say there is actually logic behind it, but you really gotta think about it because I will not try to explain the hints and clues left here and there, I want people to theorize and speculate. I know already as fact, many people will find contradicting things every now and maybe even be angry about stuff but I'd rather not correct people unless there is a genuine mistake made.

But regarding the clothing part, all Accursed miniatures are represented at the peak of their powers, not on their naked awakening. It will be part of the Courtesan gamepaly to buy new clothes each time she visit a settlement

Much of what is left in Intermundis is like a museum, people find things that belong to a different era and claim them (including perhaps old abandoned fashion shops which then restore and trade once again). Never give for granted any possibility or theory when it comes to Intermundis that's all I will say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the Dark Souls fan I am, I thank you for keeping the lore in the details, without actually explaining everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.