$30.00
Danudate Maneechai
msg tools
Hi experts,

I would like to read a clarification about "discarding card" option concerning Life Goal: "live fast & die young."

My friend and I discussed whether intentionally discarding multiple cards to cause oneself to die is viable strategy to obtain LTH from "live fast & die young"?

It sounds viable since the rule about "discarding card" is stated that "player can discard a card at any time during Action Phase."

Also, since by rulebook's definition, "Action Phase" is a phase between "Upkeep Phase" and "End of Round", we think the statement "during Action Phase" must means player can discard a card at anytime. No matter it's before he takes his action or at the end of his turn. Is it correct?

Thus the question arises, if two or more player intend to discard his/her cards to obtain LTH from "live fast & die young", how can we determine which order to discard a card? Or do we discard simultaneously?

Thank you in advance for the answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
datedanu wrote:
My friend and I discussed whether intentionally discarding multiple cards to cause oneself to die is viable strategy to obtain LTH from "live fast & die young"?

It sounds viable since the rule about "discarding card" is stated that "player can discard a card at any time during Action Phase."
Yes, it's viable; already addressed here: Legal to discard multiple cards at once in order to die?
Although semi-official, it's at your discretion to explicitly allow discarding cards that "make sense" to be discarded, e.g., require an upkeep, or occupy a precious project/partner/job slot. Discarding a set-aside (completed) project, an activity or a "free" item, for instance, makes no sense. Thematically, what does "discarding an activity" mean, anyway?

datedanu wrote:
Also, since by rulebook's definition, "Action Phase" is a phase between "Upkeep Phase" and "End of Round", we think the statement "during Action Phase" must means player can discard a card at anytime. No matter it's before he takes his action or at the end of his turn. Is it correct?

Addressed today in this one: Discard a card and Live fast, die young.
It has to be your turn of course. Before or after taking an action sure, but only during your turn.

Note that:
- The end-of-round sequence does not involve players taking turns. It's a single cleanup phase. Consequently, no discarding.
- Nevertheless, the upkeep phase does include players taking turns paying their upkeep. Discarding cards is allowed there, as you might not want/be able to pay the upkeep of a card.

datedanu wrote:
Thus the question arises, if two or more player intend to discard his/her cards to obtain LTH from "live fast & die young", how can we determine which order to discard a card? Or do we discard simultaneously?
This question is not applicable, as players may discard during their turns only. Again, that's not explicitly written in the rules, but it's a gaming Golden Rule. I assume Adrian or Vangelis will be able to officially confirm it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated, during the Action phase you can only discard during your turn.

That being said, if your goal is to die this turn, why not take multiple Overtime actions? It will also give you 1-2 extra hourglasses to spend on other things (before dying). Much more effective than simply discarding cards from in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
That being said, if your goal is to die this turn, why not take multiple Overtime actions? It will also give you 1-2 extra hourglasses to spend on other things (before dying). Much more effective than simply discarding cards from in front of you.
No overtime in the Old Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
avyssaleos wrote:
No overtime in the Old Age.

True but if you want to ensure you get that Objective a lot of times you will want to die before Old Age - everyone else on the table must have gotten a Health Project in order for you to be able to get into Old Age and still claim that Objective.

In such a case, aren't you still going to die before everyone else?

Ok, technically you can still die in the 1st old age (by discarding items for example) and have the other players die at the upkeep of the 2nd Old Age by the automated increase in Stress. In that case, then yes, it makes sense to discard cards to gain that needed stress although you could still gain the needed stress through other means as well like taking extra partners, additional projects etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
Ok, technically you can still die in the 1st old age (by discarding items for example) and have the other players die at the upkeep of the 2nd Old Age by the automated increase in Stress. In that case, then yes, it makes sense to discard cards to gain that needed stress although you could still gain the needed stress through other means as well like taking extra partners, additional projects etc.
The one time I've seen this strategy employed in order to win this Life Goal that's exactly how I did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danudate Maneechai
msg tools
avyssaleos wrote:

Gaining stress by your other means is not optimized because you need to sacrifice 1 hour glass token. Instead, performing your last action then discarding all card is more efficient. (The rule said "at any time" so I interpret that you can discard even after doing your last action, since it's considered the very end of your turn. Otherwise, it should state clearly as the rule about refreshing a row of card by -1 STH that you must do before taking an action.)

By the way, in my opinion, going into Old Age together (to obtain 5 hourglass tokens) and perform all 5 actions before discarding multiple cards to die is far better than take multiple overtime in last Adult Age (net you around 2-3 hourglass tokens) and die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.