L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I debated how to interpret the spending of surges. When I took this shot the zombie had rolled 2 surges. The hero rolled enough shields to mitigate all hearts rolled. If we apply the surges in order, the hero takes no disease and then +x hearts damage. But if I were the overlord I'd apply the first surge to damage and the second to disease, in this case, giving the hero damage and disease.

Are we interpreting the surge order correctly? Does the first surge get ignored because the +damage surge is applied second?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) I think there's a caveat somewhere in there that useless surge ops (disease in this case) are ignored

2) There's no lack of wrap-around similar to monster activation cards. So if he rolls two surges on a 4dmg 4shield push/bounce attack, he'd skip disease, surge for +X damage, then wrap back around to surge for disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
The order in which you apply surges doesn't matter, because according to the base game rules (see pages 9 and 13), surges are applied in step 4 of attack resolution, but damage is applied in step 5. Conditions are dealt after that (because they are only dealt if the target has taken any damage from the attack, and you don't know that in step 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure surge abilities on monsters can only be used once per attack, just like on weapons. You can't spend a surge on the same thing twice unless the monster has the ability twice. So if only one surge had been rolled you'd have a choice to make, but in this case you simply spend a surge on each ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
The order in which you apply surges doesn't matter,

Right. Unlike actions which move down a list, each Surge-choice starts at the top and picks the highest option available.

In this case, Disease isn't an option for the first, as the Hero is not yet taking damage, so the second one applies.

Now, start at the top again. Disease is now a valid choice and should be applied.

Also, Proto is correct that each Surge ability is once per attack, so in this case it wouldn't actually matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. That clears it up. My wife is not going to like it devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.