Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Either that, or I am missing something.

1) WP gains victory points by controlling cities.
2) To control a city WP needs to have been the last one occupying it AND the city must be in friendly airspace.
3) Determining friendly airspace is done by tracing a line identical like a supply line.
4) For victory point purposes, the rules specifically state that the city needs to trace the line through an eligible HQ.
5) WP has a maximum of 9 HQs in this scenario (Czech Olomouc army does not get it's HQ oddly enough in this scenario) each with a supply range of 3 hexes.

So, I have been peering at the map, using only the HQ counters to try and cover enough cities with them and for the life of me, I can not cover enough for a decisive victory.

Now, surely this cannot be right, so what am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To achieve VP, the WP player needs to control the city (para 210 and 212)

For VP purposes, the city must have a control marker on it and be in friendly airspace (para 198)

A unit is in friendly airspace if, at the instant of determination, it can trace a path of hexes identical to a supply line to a valid supply source (para 006)

A supply line is a path of hexes traced from a unit to a valid supply source'. (para 094)

A combat unit must trace its supply line through a valid HQ (when) the combat unit is in enemy territory (para 097)

A city is not a combat unit. Therefore, it follows the provisions of para 094 and need not follow the provisions of para 097 (needing a HQ).

As long as you have a control marker on the city and can trace a supply path to a supply source, the city is in friendly airspace and you can get VP for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheers for the answer, but the rules specifically state that for VP purposes cities need to trace through a valid HQ. ATM I don't have the rules on me, so I'll post the page and paragraph later. I reasoned exactly as you wrote, and was very surprised when I read that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roghain wrote:
but the rules specifically state that for VP purposes cities need to trace through a valid HQ.

Yes, please find that reference. I'm unfamiliar with that requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here it is:

(198) "For VP purposes, a player must have a friendly Control Marker on an enemy city, and that Control Marker must meet the stipulations of friendly airspace."

(97, second bullet sidebar) "When determining friendly airspace, any unit outside it's home country must trace supply in this manner." This manner refers to the main text and deals with tracing supply through an HQ.

We argued that this means that anytime for any purpose when determining friendly airspace an HQ is needed to trace through.
The 'any' being the definitive term. We figured that, yes a city isn't a unit, but the presence or absence of boots on the ground wasn't important. It even felt kinda logical, with the assumed capability of an HQ to organise air defense radar and mobile SAMs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're reading too much into it.

Para 097 deals with combat units only. Therefore, the bullet applies only to them (combat units).

Since there are only HQ and Combat units (para 054) it would be a little redundant, but a better way of writing the bullet would be;

"When determining friendly airspace (006), any combat unit outside its home country must trace supply in this manner"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given the impossibility of covering enough cities with all available HQs I reckon I did. Cheers for taking your valuable time to set me straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaging this thread, had that exact same question... + thumbsup for you sir!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now, either one of you up for a game this Sunday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Roghain wrote:
Now, either one of you up for a game this Sunday?
How about November 6, Eindhoven?
Achttiende Oorlogsdag - Eindhoven
See fourth one on the list.

...Although I expect to be playing A Distant Plain then. But NATO: The Next War in Europe can be an option for the next (somewhere feb-apr, Eindhoven) or the one after (jun/jul Utrecht)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
November? I could be dead n buried by then :)
But, I'm not a huge fan of playing games at conventions so Eindhoven isn't an option for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Roghain wrote:
November? I could be dead n buried by then
But, I'm not a huge fan of playing games at conventions so Eindhoven isn't an option for me.
I guess you could call 10-16 wargamers getting together to play the games they normally can't get on the table a "convention" but to me, it's more of a "gathering". But to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good point and good to know. I reckon your reputation needs a tad readjusting, maybe.

As for games not normally on the table and the theme, I would suggest VG's Vietnam but that takes 100 hours plus

If work permits, I'll try to come for maybe some MBT or 2nd Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.