Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So,far there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fan-created content. I don't know how we can encourage creative players to create some fan made campaigns to add to our game.

Secondly, what is the most effective way to let ffg know that we want to see this game developed in a different setting? Social media, emails, forum posts, phone calls, letters?

Maybe there's no hope but I'm sure many of us are willing to do what we can if there's any hope of seeing this game developed more. Heck, maybe ffg is already working on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game was a success - shortly after it hit the market for the first time, it quickly went out of stock. So I guess FFG was a little surprised by its success.

Now they lost the Warhammer IP. soblue However, it's easy to retheme this game into their Terrinoth universe or *gasp* even Star Wars ... wow ...

Whatever, I'm sure we'll see it again. The horse is not dead yet meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Houk
msg tools
mbmbmb
The biggest question is what were the terms of the original license agreement. It is possible that now all properties made with gamesworkshop content are done. If they re-skin them, that could open them possibly to lawsuits. It all depends on if FFG is considered the owner of the engine.

It is quite possible that all of the collaboratives are 100% dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cotj73 wrote:
The biggest question is what were the terms of the original license agreement. It is possible that now all properties made with gamesworkshop content are done. If they re-skin them, that could open them possibly to lawsuits. It all depends on if FFG is considered the owner of the engine.

It is quite possible that all of the collaboratives are 100% dead.

With GW's previous (and, presumably, continuing) approach to IP, I think that may be the case.

Even any fan-made content posted here will have to be carefully 'unbranded' in case BGG becomes subject to another 'cease and desist' notice from GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, should we consider GW owns everything and not FFG (artwork, etc. and the engine included), what are the chances we'll see the new IP owner produce some official expansions fully compatible with the FFG version?

Would there be potential IP infringement or else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So much overthinking here--and in other threads.

To keep the game alive you simply need to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
So much overthinking here--and in other threads.

To keep the game alive you simply need to play it.

Support the game system by playing its iterative cousin in arkham horror the LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dunstan
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've been wondering: could FFG put out a new game using the same system, but with the same card backs? I haven't looked recently, but I don't think there's anything on the backs of the cards (or the cards' overall layout) that's specifically Warhammer-y. Could they release a new game that's backwards-compatible ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FistfulOfDice wrote:
One thing I've been wondering: could FFG put out a new game using the same system, but with the same card backs? I haven't looked recently, but I don't think there's anything on the backs of the cards (or the cards' overall layout) that's specifically Warhammer-y. Could they release a new game that's backwards-compatible ?

See this thread:
How possible is it for a re-skin/re-theme to be compatible with the base game?

My take is even if they could, its probably not worth the potential legal blowback, even if they're in the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Game Merchanics, per se, aren't copyrightable. I'm sure someone here on BGG can site specific legal precedents. If they were, GW, the Disney of the gaming world, would have slapped a C&D on the thousand games that use 'X+ Armor Save' type mechanics.

I don't think FFG needs to be "let known" how the community feels about this game, or their other GW-licensed games. They have sales chart and their own forums. And more to the point, the internal discussion at FFG about this has been going on longer, is better informed, and likely even more passionate than what we are doing here. After all the FFG folks aren't just worried about losing a game they enjoy. They are also trying to pay their mortgages with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
Secondly, what is the most effective way to let ffg know that we want to see this game developed in a different setting? Social media, emails, forum posts, phone calls, letters?

FFG people read these forums, so you can be pretty sure you're being heard right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask Games Workshop to make expansions? gulprobot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:

No minis, no chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What to do to keep the gamesystem alive?

1: Keep playing the game.
2: Some ppl can make Fanmade things from time to time.
3: Ppl that can´t make the same artwork and Cards that is needed (like those that are already made out there), can put out ideas on the Forum to how to expand the game further, to make those ppl who can, make it.

Or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
Rox4Games wrote:
What to do to keep the gamesystem alive?

2: Some ppl can make Fanmade things from time to time.
3: Ppl that can´t make the same artwork and Cards that is needed (like those that are already made out there), can put out ideas on the Forum to how to expand the game further, to make those ppl who can, make it.

Or something.

I've posted some images that may help people create new Quest and Enemy cards. They will need some scaling to print the correct sizes. I just ordered the game yesterday upon hearing the news of the divorce. I will post images of the other card types once I get my hands on the game and can edit the cards to be blank/customizable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Game Merchanics, per se, aren't copyrightable. I'm sure someone here on BGG can site specific legal precedents.

not a lawyer. But I stumbled upon this the other day:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/273935/Texas_court_affirm...

(not sure whether it was this exact article, but something to the same effect).

Also, note how it's commonplace for mechanics to be "borrowed" from previous games. For example, Dominion really is the mother of all deckbuilders, I guess. It's less common that a new game pretty much incorporates an older game wholesale, though it's happened before (cf. the Flash Duel: Revised Second Edition vs. En Garde debate).

Edit: oh, also, there's this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
neo.colpaert wrote:

No minis, no chance!

Sell it with minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Many of you talking about IPs, Copyrights and all kinds of things, which again is a good thing to actually have for many things in the gameindustry.
Because fanmade stuff is exactly what it is, it is fanmade and we share it which again is perfectly normal and fun. It´s not like we´re charging other ppl money for it, and really can´t see anything wrong in sharing small extras as one-off adventures, small campaigns, extra creatures and such.
Can´t imagine GW would come here to this site (& others) and decide that ALL FANMADE stuff which is totally free to use and made by fans who loves the game should be totally, utterly and completely removed from this site. That would just be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
Can´t imagine GW would come here to this site (& others) and decide that ALL FANMADE stuff which is totally free to use and made by fans who loves the game should be totally, utterly and completely removed from this site. That would just be wrong.

They think that because GW has a history of doing precisely that. They seem to be trying to re-invent themselves so maybe that unpopular behavior is behind them, but its going to take a while to repair their reputation with some gamers.

Edit: Link for reference:
The Games Workshop Files Purge of '09
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Rox4Games wrote:

They think that because GW has a history of doing precisely that. They seem to be trying to re-invent themselves so maybe that unpopular behavior is behind them, but its going to take a while to repair their reputation with some gamers.

that. Also, if they want to repair their reputation, they could just go ahead and put out some kit for producing fanmade stuff. This could even include some kind of legal framework for using it (other companies have done so before, e.g. Space Cowboys for TIME Stories, German publisher Pegasus for their Quest-boardgame-RPG hybrid, Paizo (I think) for their Pathfinder ACG, ...) I guess that would go a long way for re-establishing trust in the fanbase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cafin8d wrote:
Rox4Games wrote:

Some of it is understandable, some of it not.
But then also the matter of stuff pops up also regarding the actual Fanmade Expansion made for Warhammer Quest and was released back in ´10 and is easily available to buy. Cost is around $10 USD or so if not mistaken. Don´t remember what it´s name was, but it is a big one with Chaos Dwarfs, tiles and a big new adventure and all kind of stuff apparently.

Why is that one not pulled back and totally utterly destroyed? It is FANMADE and it even costs CASH. Spooky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Rox4Games wrote:

How do they still earn money, you think? Not from bringing out the 7689th variant of the Blood Angels, I guess... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have started a personal project to retheme with the same engine into a fantasy world of my own creation that takes more of a john carter / conan of cimmeria influence. Recently thought of just directly porting over every Conan story into this with characters from conan (including conan of course). Was also considering one based on the Android IP of FFG. If there was more interest in the Android one I would switch to that.

If others are as interested in reskinning this wonderful engine as I am and not letting this fabulously fun game meet a legal death, I would love to collaborate with others. I am a web and graphic designer/developer by trade and have more than enough skill to get this done with print. I got some illustration chops too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blake
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe adapting the gameplay to something sort of Descent, the card game.

Bye, bye, Old World. Welcome, Terrinoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
However, it's easy to retheme this game into their Terrinoth universe or *gasp* even Star Wars...

While LOTR is probably unlikely to get a Descent/Imperial Assault game, since Descent covers the fantasy theme, I Would love to see this game system put into the LOTR universe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.