$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I've played unofficial EPic scenarios several times already and one thing I loved was the fact that we were limiting the communication between the CiC and the section commanders based on the C&C:Ancients rule:

Historical Alternative. Battlefield communication in this period was limited. To add a little more “drama” and spontaneity, an alternative method to playing Epic Ancients is to have the Overall Commanders have a brief discussion of the overall situation and their intentions with his Field Commanders BEFORE play begins, and after this, discussion is very limited. Only when Army Command cards are played may he speak briefly about the overall situation with all of his Field Generals. Field Generals may talk to each other only when they have been jointly issued a Field Command card.

This made the Epic scenarios we played great as a good use of communication was important as it influenced the battle. For instance, in a Waterloo unofficial scenario, I had my left flank commander forgetting about his cuirassiers while I was leading an attack on the center where they were supposed to assist my units. I had to play a card allowing us to speak about it and realized that he was so focused on Hougoumont that he had completely forgotten about the cuirassiers and that we had agreed on them helping out on the center!

On the other hand, there was times where a field commander had a better idea than the CiC and the fact that they could not communicate was interesting as the CiC had to adapt to a situation better than before but that he had not anticipated.

If you haven't tried playing Epic scenarios this way, I can only encourage you to give it a try, it's a lot of fun!

Anyway,I'm interested in using this rule again for the official Epic scenarios and LGB by using the "Corps Command star symbols" that can be found on some cards (take command I think, scout, elan and some others) as the cards allowing the CiC to communicate with the field commanders.

So, when a CiC plays a card with "Corps Command star symbols", he's allowed to speak briefly with one of his/her commanders who had at least one unit ordered by the card.

I'll add that they cannot show each other's cards and the commander can only say that he plans a "cavalry charge" or an assault (names of his cards) when explaining his strategy. The section commander can also tell about his tactician cards that could be used.

Gotta try that soon, come on October, I'm waiting for you!

If you have other ideas about communication management in Epic/LGB scenarios, I'll be curious to hear about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Seems like people are starting to play epic games, at least on Vassal. So, what do you allow in communication? And if you allow all discussions about the cards of each player in a team, doesn't it slow down the game a lot (and improve the chance of a "control freak" taking over the plays of the whole team)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.