GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Misprint at the Grocery Store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
I figure it may be important to note that the symbols on the Grocery Store board, denoting what is most/least abundant in that location's item deck, were not changed to accommodate the change in ratios between The Long Night and the original Dead of Winter. Since The Long Night replaces two Medicine cards from the original with two Food 3 cards, there are now in fact more tools (5 total) than medicine (4 total) at this location. To summarize, the symbols on the Grocery Store board should actually read food, tools, medicine, outsiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up! When I get my copy, I'll have to scan the board and make a sticker with the correct icons (unless someone here beats me to it, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha Dare
Australia
Eaglemont
VIC
flag msg tools
I noticed that this has also occurred with the Library location card.

The location card reads:
books, fuel, food, tools, outsiders;

where it should read:
books, fuel, food, outsiders, tools

as there are 3 outsider cards and only 2 tool cards in the Library deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck Plaid Hat Games :/ Third of main locations are misprinted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Between this and the differences in component quality led me to cancel my order for this game and I'm now considering getting rid of the main gain. What a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Foss83 wrote:
I noticed that this has also occurred with the Library location card.

Hmm, I guess you're right! Well, this is also the case then for the original DOW Library, as there's no change in tools between the two sets... I wonder, has anything else along these lines gone under the radar?

As an aside: Upon mixing both games, in order to keep the Grocery Store from being misprinted, I simply replaced only one of the original Medicine cards with a new Food 3 card, thus making the tools and medicine equal at 5 a piece, but such a thing cannot be done with the Library.

Also, as another aside, since I do not sleeve things, to kind of/sort of help me with the issue of the cards from the two sets being of differing size and quality, I tried to divide the location decks in half, with half the cards coming from each set, which makes it a little harder to discern what items are where exactly. Furthermore, I do use the more complicated setup, randomizing a few of the items beforehand, i.e. weapons, books.

Ask me not how either of these changes affects the game, though, as I've not played enough to really say one way or the other yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Between this and the differences in component quality led me to cancel my order for this game and I'm now considering getting rid of the main gain. What a shame.

I'm not sure I understand this at all.

The component quality is as good as the first game, better location boards, regardless of misprint of location item ratios.

And how is that making the first game less fun?

Seems like an overreaction to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManWithBirdLikeWing wrote:

Ask me not how either of these changes affects the game, though, as I've not played enough to really say one way or the other yet.

I would say negligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the problem here, but since it is only off by 1 item, it is pretty negligible.

I also think it's a bit silly to point this out and not consider that the icons will be wildly different if you merge the two games. Depending on how you merge the locations decks, you could end up with 1 deck of 20 cards with almost unknowable ratios, 1 deck of 20 cards that was painstakingly created pre-game to match the ratios, or 1 deck of 40 cards that has a ratio that may or may not be in line with the icons on the board.

This is the biggest issue with the game imho. This and possibly the lack of narrative for main objectives and betrayal endings.

I don't think there was an elegant solution to the ratio problem. And each playgroup is going to react differently to the issue. The best way is to keep the decks 20 cards (for the objective requiring complete deck completion) and fixing the ratios pregame. How to get the ratios correct would have required a complex-ish guide (which you can find here on BGG) that is just too much for some groups to bother with.

Either way, the game stands as it is as a very fun game with a few issues that weren't easily resolved, and a few typos/icon issues that are of minor consequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
soakman wrote:
I also think it's a bit silly to point this out and not consider that the icons will be wildly different if you merge the two games.

Agreed, that would be a bit silly; however, in addition to the Long Night being an expansion, it is also meant to stand alone, and as such, in order for the icons to properly serve their purpose here they really should not be misprinted, nor should they rely on the purchase of the original game to correct or justify their misprinting, no matter how negligible it may seem, right? Otherwise, why have them at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out Fatima, she is called Maktabi on her card but a crossroads card refers to her as Rhodes, this led to a bit of confusion until I spotted that both people were athletes. I can only suppose that an error was made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.