Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently dug this game out of my parents closet and ran my two boys (aged 9&5) through the beginning quest. I have to admit, after playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Runebound (First Edition), Return of the Heroes and Doom: The Boardgame, I was very disappointed. Unfortunately though, those games have content that are a little bit too "mature" for my kids.

Does anybody have a fix for this game that will make it much more playable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
What aspect did you find unplayable?

I would have personally thought that Heroquest is a much better game for a 5 and 9 year old than any of those other games you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I'm with Jim. You're sitting with the target audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you all have me wondering if I am playing this game correctly.

Here's my number one problem: The game basically turned into a race to be the first into a room to get the treasure. There really is no incentive to defeat all of the monsters.

Have I read the rules incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I would have personally thought that Heroquest is a much better game for a 5 and 9 year old than any of those other games you mentioned.

Same here. And quite few people find it a better game for 35-to-55 year olds as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Post
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean it does seem like a race to look for treasure in each room. But the game is supposed to be simple. That's what I like about it.

Ok. let me rabble out ideas to keep the room racing down....

Maybe if you added more to wandering monsters? Or made a trick room that penalizes the first person to search the room?

Maybe the first person there checks for treasure for all players? Then instead of drawing 1 card, you draw 4. THAT would be a little intimidating having 4 wandering monsters at once. You definately would want to wait for your fellow players. If they drew 4 treasures, they pick where the last guy in picks from the treasure pile?

How about this? NO ONE can search for treasure alone. You have to do it as a team. You have to draw 4 cards at once. You pass out the cards face down to each player, then they all flip them over at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robertino Clazzer
Sweden
Malmo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Theres no rule stating that only the first player may search for treasure in a room. All four characters may search the same room for treasure.

The rules state that there can not be a monster in sight or in the same room that is being searched.

If you feel its to easy double or triple the numbered monsters that appear(s) when surprised by monsters while searching for treasure.

I only play this game with my two sons (aged 4 and 6) and they have just recently discovered that it is better to play as companions sticking togheter and overcoming the obstacles rather than to run around in four different directions to collect treasures and dodging monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Shirtz
United States
Rensselaer Falls
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Board designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Go to www.aginsinn.com It's the premiere HQ fan site. Tons of alternative rules, combat cards, magic items, and downloadable board tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
Now you all have me wondering if I am playing this game correctly.

Here's my number one problem: The game basically turned into a race to be the first into a room to get the treasure. There really is no incentive to defeat all of the monsters.

Have I read the rules incorrectly?

Others have made some good comments but I'll chime in too. First, you can't search for treasure with monsters in the room, so you have to kill them for that reason. Also, the main goal is to finish the quest, not accumulate treasure. When I played this, it was all about fighting together as a team. I wouldn't dream of splitting up the party. Competition between the heroes seems out of place.

Anyway, when I did play this, the thing we changed to make it more fun was eliminating the need to roll the dice for movement unless monsters were on the board. We would basically just line up our guys how we wanted outside each door before opening it. (Since you could do this anyway, eventually, as long as you kept rolling the dice, but we just saved time that way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as others have mentioned, you can't search for stuff unless there are no monsters in sight. But was it searching for treasure that you were talking about, or more of a race for the chests? I got the sense that it was the chests, which to me makes more sense because they are often more interesting and less risky than the simple treasure search. I don't find searching for treasure to be all that exciting, since it can be done so often.

If you want more incentive to kill monsters, try tacking on a 10 or 15 gold reward for each monster. Or have a scalable amount based on the monster's strength. This would make killing a lot more appealing because then they could buy cool gear in between quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it with the Warhammer Quest rule:

You must divide all treasure items equally.

That is, if the Barbarian got a magical treasure last time, then he has to wait until the Dwarf, Elf and Wizard get a magical treasure before taking another one.

You may want to trade treasure that works for a particular character for the amount of gold they would normally cost (or say 400 gold per magical item).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CUTHALI0N wrote:
But was it searching for treasure that you were talking about, or more of a race for the chests?

You're right, it was a race to find chests, not to search for treasure.

CUTHALI0N wrote:
If you want more incentive to kill monsters, try tacking on a 10 or 15 gold reward for each monster. Or have a scalable amount based on the monster's strength. This would make killing a lot more appealing because then they could buy cool gear in between quests.

This is a pretty good idea I think I'll try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Azereal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that in many of the early quests the treasure chests are often trapped or empty (or both).

In my group we play that you can only search a room once (I'm counting searching chests as searching a room).

For the first couple of quests I put a bounty of 5 gold on each monster to help the heroes afford some gear early on.

We also play with the American monster stats which makes the monsters somewhat tougher (and makes the GM role somewhat more fun!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I recall, the rules state that treasure may not be searched for when monsters are on the board, and that each room may only be searched once.

There is no rule about even division of treasure.

The rules for searching chests were a bit vague; I think one had to search for treasure in order to search a chest. Therefore a chest could not be searched once monsters were on the board. And of course, chests were often trapped, and traps cannot be searched if monsters are in the room either. This might lead to cooperation (you search for traps, then I'll search for treasure, and we split the loot).

Although it was usually the best way to go, there is nothing in the rules to say that players must co-operate. Indeed, players are allowed to attack and kill each other if they so choose.

If you'd like to encourage co-operation and treasure sharing, make sure your monsters pick on the player with the most! Also, completing the quest should be the primary aim of the players; treasure becomes pretty useless after half-a-dozen quests when the heroes are fully tooled-up. Or simply wait and play through - the quests get harder, and the players will die unless they co-operate. Some of the quests in the expansion books are lethal if you don't work together (and pretty hard if you do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
The best fix for this game must be "Allied HeroQuest" ...ninja

toco.be/ahq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
As far as I recall, the rules state that treasure may not be searched for when monsters are on the board, and that each room may only be searched once.

Actually I believe the rules state that each hero may search each room once. (Page 16?)

Also Pits count as rooms and can be search for secret doors and treasure.(Page 19, American Version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.