Hide
3 Posts

The King's Abbey» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expansion Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
An idea I have for an expansion would be a new deck of cards, maybe 20 or so cards.

Missions.

These cards would be purchased just like a Crusade card. And just like a Crusade card, if you don't complete the Mission before the end of the game the points are removed from you.

Missions are similar to Crusades. They are purchased for 2 coins however. They will require a minimum of three (and up to five) dice and two baptised meeples. The meeples need to be baptised, as they are spreading religion.

Instead of having all dice of the same number, all dice must be a different number. Some cards may also require a specific number on the dice.

The dice are placed at the same time as placing the other dice during the Abbey phase. And just like Crusade cards, you can holdover dice until you have the correct amount over multiple turns.

Missions will give a recurring bonus to players. Depending on difficulty, it could be resources, coins, archers or even additional peasants ready to join your congregation and in your pews.

The idea is that you are sending trained meeples to spread your religious beliefs, and once the mission is over, you've trained local priests who will continue to spread your religion. And they are so grateful that they make offerings each round.

It's a simple addition but it's an option that could easily be added without a great deal of explanation or complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea. Would the mission cards provide BOTH a VP award and an ongoing benefit?

One possible enhancement is to allow the player to choose either an ongoing reward or an extra VP award. That way mission cards would still be relevant in the last couple of game rounds. For example, the player could choose between 2 VP plus an ongoing bonus (e.g. 1 grain per round) or, 4 VP and no ongoing bonus. If I drew this Mission card late in the game, I might value an additional 2 VP more than 1 grain per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
Most likely I'd offer players the option. Im fleshing this idea out along with other ideas and will come back to it as a fan expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.